Thomas Wall

†† Thomas Wall enlisted in the Army in 1861 at Clyde, Wayne County, New York.†† (A William Wall, who I think is his brother, enlisted a few days later and was mustered in the same artillery unit at the same time.)

†† The letter states the military service of Thomas Wall in the Union Army from 1861 to 1864.Thomas participated in many battles and campaigns.He served three years in the Army, and, after being discharged, Thomas returned to Clyde, New York and worked at a window glass factory.†† He then moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where he did the same work. Then he moved to New Albany, Indiana where was a glass blower and a policeman.He continued to work as a glass blower until he was over 70 years old!I found a Perry Wall living with Thomas in 1868 the year before Thomas married.I am sure that was his half-brother, who was listed in the 1860 Federal Census for Galen, New York as Perry Wall, Junior.Thomas' mother was shown at Mary Wall in the 1860 census.Most times I find her listed as Catherine or Katherine Wall.

†† When Thomas Wall married at Holy Trinity Catholic Church in 1869 his name was shown as "Thomas Wall (Kalagher)," son of James Kalagher and Catherine Doran.Perry Wall married Sara McGraw (1872)-- Perry's parents were shown as Perry Wall and Catherine Doyle [I think it should have been Doran. J.T.W.]


†† Thomas Wall wrote the following letter in 1901 to the Pension Bureau.The military service contained in the biographical sketch of Thomas Wall that was published in 1893 in the book Soldiers, Statesmen, and Presidents, is very consistent with that in Thomas' letter.The sketch provides more family information.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

New AlbanyIndDec 21st1901

To the Commissioner of PensionsWashingtonD. C.

In reply to yours of Nov 12th will State that I enlisted Sept 20th 1861 at Clyde Wayne CoN.Y. and was Mustered in to Co A firstN. Y. Light Artilery at Utica N.Y.††† a few days afterwards wasStationed on Capitol hill Washington D.C. during the fall Winter and Spring of1861 & 2was at the Seige ofYorktown April 62was at the Battleof WilliamsburgMay 5 it rained allday†† at Night I lay on the wetground without any coveringclothsall wetdried on me the NextdayNothing to eat or drink fromthe evening of the 4th until the evening of the 6ththen only a Small hoe cake I bought froma colard woman†† about the15th was at the chickahominey rivercrossed at Boterns(?) Bridge all right†† a few days after I wasSent back to the Bagage Waggon on the opisit Side of the riverI found the river out of its banks

andin crossing My horse Steped in to a deep hole and Me and the horse had to Swim tothe opisit bankI had to Stay thereall Night and lay down in them wet clothsNext Morning I was Stiff and pains all over My bodyabout the 28 was at Fair Oaks or Seven Pines on the 31st theBattle beganour guns were

out on the front lineour horses were Nearly all Shot downMine was Killed under Me So that the guns could not be hauled off the field and were captured by the enemyI laid under a tree that Night in the Morning I had a chillMy only covering was apart of a horse blanket I found in the Mud.Nothing

to eat or drink from the evening of the 30th until Noon June 2nd except one hard tack a Solder gave Me and a drink of water out of a horses track†† afterwards camped at white oak Swamp as we lost clothing and tentswe had to peel bark off the trees for shelter

[pg No†† 2] About the 12th of June was transferred in to the 7th N.Y. Battery on the 25th Marched towardsthe James Riverat Night we campedour guns in Battery expecting an attack†† about 1 A.M. the cannoniers I wasone of them laid down on a canvaswe had to cover the gun and gun carrige when Not in useit rained a little during the latterpart of the Nightthe canvas heldthe water and I caut cold in the left Side of My face and it Swelled upat daylight we were attacked by Rebelcavalrythen it was all confusionuntil the 2nd of JulyMyface and head Swelled upbut I hadto Stay at My Post until the Battle was overI called our first Lieutenants attentionto My head and he Said he thought I was Very luckey to have a Swelled headonin Sept 62 was in camp atNewport Newsabout Sept1st was sent to Norfolk Va†† in Dec was sent to deep creekabout 12 Miles from Norfolk guarding the only passage through the dismalSwampthat winter My face Swelledup again Same as in JuneTheSurgeon of the 99 N.Y. Regiment pulled three of My teeth upper left SideI could Not eat on that Side of My facefor 20 years afterwardsNow Mylower teeth left Side are long lower teeth right Side are worn down Shortthen I was only 22 years of agein the Summer of 63 was ordered back toNorfolkour gun were placed So asto guard all the roads leading to the Cityit was a Swampy country around NorfolkI had the first Symptoms of Hay fever inthe fall of 63was treated by aSurgeon that Visited our Battery about twice a week†† late in the fall was ordered to the Seige of Suffolk†† afterthe Seige returned to Norfolkinwinter I had the ague and about 35 others were all treated in our quarters inthe fair ground buildingsdonítKnow the Surgeons Namehe leftMedicine with one of our Men Named Edwin N. Coon who acted ashospital

[pg No 3]†† Stewart in Feb 64 Sent to the entrenched camp out Side of Norfolkin April was transfered to the quartermasters department and about 3 or 4 weeks afterwardswas transferred to General Shepleys Head quarters as Messngerthe only questions asked was can youKeep SoberI had the Hay feveragain befor I was dischargedTheSurgeon of a Regiment of Rebel Soldiers that enlisted in the Union Army treatedMe and Said it was a Summer coldIwas discharged Oct 4th 1864 by reason of expiration of term ofService the General thanked Me forMy Services and gave Me ten Dollarsthe winter of 64 & 5 was at My home Clyde NY.Had the ague during the winter was treated by Dr Colvin of that placein Sept 1865 commenced in the Window Glass work Pittsburgh Pahadhay fever in the falllate inwinter had the aguethen NightSweets then Nose bleedin the Spring of 66 and came Very Near bleeding to Death for even the Doctors could NotStop itI got So weak I could Not Stand and had to give up My place and return to My homethat was by the advice of Dr Denny ofPittsburghin July 1867 I came toNew Albany [Indiana] to work in the window Glass works hereI had a Slight attack of hay feverNose bled again†† Several times I called on Dr. Sloane of this placehe gave MeRappee Snuff for Nose bleedI haveNot been bothered but Very little Since†† When I Visited him later on I had the ague and pains in My back and hips†† he said he could cure the ague and he did he Said the pains in My hip was Muscular RheumatismI have the hay fever every year about the 20th of Aug until Freezing weatherI have tried

[pg No 4]

Doctors and everything that was recomended for hay fever but No cureI breath through a wet cloth at Night to get some relieftwo years ago in Sept I could Not breatheven out doors and thought the end had comeI have Rheumatism and lame back†† every time the weather changeslame back comes on Sudden and wears of Slowlyagain I was examined Nov 20th1901it was fine Weather and I feltall rightthree days afterwards Iwas splitting Kindling wood for one hour†† when I got through I could NotStraiten My backI got two Boxes ofpills from Dr Weathers and put two Paris plasters on my backStill wearing them I doctored with a German Woman inLouisville Ky named Mrs GraffShetook hold of My wrist and Said you got Rheumatism Bad you got Piles BadShe helped me for a whileI Doctored With Dr Sloane Dr Clap DrNeat Dr Wilcox & Dr Weathers of this placecould Mention Many More but it wouldtake to Much of Your time

I Never disobeyed an order while in the ArmyI Never was arrested orpunished for any crime while in or out of the ArmyNever was drunk in My lifewas on the Police force here in 1867& 7 and when I resigned the enclosed Note was Sent to My home

Respectfully yours

Thomas Wall

Private Co A first N.Y. & 7th New York Battery

have been laid up the grip lately is the cause of the delayT.Wall

State ofIndiana)


Floyd††††††† County)

Subscribed and sworn to before me, this 14 day of February, 1902

Charles B Scott Clerk

By _____? Ruoff Deputy

- - - - - - - - -

††††† My uncle, told me that Thomas Wall got his name by a beating.His stepfather went to the farm where Thomas was working and asked for the pay of his son Thomas Wall.The farmer answered that nobody of that name worked for him.Mr. Wall, that is (Perry Wall) and then asked the farmer if he could look about the farm and was given permission. He saw his stepson working at the farm.When the boy came home, Mr. Wall beat him and told him, "from now on you are Thomas Wall."I think that mygreat-grand-father's step-father had been embarrassed, and took it out on theboy.He probably told him that he was living under his roof and being fed in his home, and, accordingly, ought to show his respect and gratitude and take the name of his mother's husband.(Of course, I cannot prove it!)I also expect he made Thomas promise to always use the surname Wall. When Thomas married in 1869, he said that he was Thomas Wall, but when the priest asked the names of his parents he correctly saidJames Kalagher and Catherine Wall. I think that the priest then wrote(Kalagher) following Thomas Wall in the church record. James T. Wall


††††† I have found a record of the death of Catherine Wall in Syracuse, New York; the newspaper death notice listing the names of five surviving children: Michael Wall of Chicago; Thomas Wall of New Albany, Indiana; Perry Wall of Streator, Illinois; Mary Cotter of Rochester, New York; and Mrs. D. J. [David Joseph] [Bridget] Reidy with whom Catherine had been living in Syracuse.

I have found that Catherine was buried in St. John's Cemetery, Clyde, New York; the gravestone showing ďCatherine Wall 1818- 1904.

Marriage License of Thomas Wall (Kalagher) to Anna Dowd, Holy Trinity Church, 1869

Obituary ofCatherine (Doran) Kalagher Wall, Syracuse, New York 8 Mar 1904

Submitted to Floyd County Indiana Gen Web by

Copyright Apr 24 2005, All Rights Reserved

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Back to Floyd County INGenWeb