Compendium of History Reminiscence & Biography of Western Nebraska
the west, handling also paints, windmills, pumps and fittings to his line.
In 1892 Mr. Linn was elected county treasurer, and held the office for four years, receiving the election as county judge in 1897 and serving for two year. He is now county commissioner, elected in 1905. He has also been mayor of Kimball, holding office during 1907 and 1908, and is president of the Bank of Kimball and a member of the school board. Mr. Linn is a representative western "booster", progressive in his business methods, and possesses extraordinary ability as an organizer and leader of men. He is a Republican and strong party man.
On June 18, 1888, our subject was united in marriage to Anna C. Willing, at Sidney, Nebraska. Mrs. Linn was born in Sweden, coming to United States as a young girl, and her parents are both dead. They have a family of seven children, all living at home, who are named as follows: Oscar G., Vernon E., Herbert E., Ernest A., John T., Frank W. and Kenneth
HENRY C. KENYON.
The gentleman herein named has passed many years in western Nebraska, coming to Brown county when a young man, and here he has resided almost constantly for over thirty years, becoming thoroughly familiar with this section of the country and its opportunities and resources. Mr. Kenyon resides in section 4, township 30, where he has a good home and farm, and is highly esteemed as a citizen and fellow townsman.
Mr. Kenyon was born in Oneida, New York state, in 1865. His father, Milton Kenyon, was also a native of that state, born in 1822, and his mother, who was Melinda Manchester, was born there in 1825. His parents had a family of three children, he being the youngest, and he was reared in his native state until ten years old, then came to Minnesota, where the family spent a year in Steele county. From there they went to Omaha and remained one year, then on a farm near Omaha up to 1882. In the spring of 1881 our subject's father came to Brown county and took up a homestead in section 4, township 30, range 23. With him was a friend and neighbor, Tom Johnson, and they drove through the country into the county with a team and covered wagon, and were almost the first settlers in that locality.
The following year our subject came to Brown county with a carload of goods, but did not locate, returning to Ainsworth, where he worked for the Chicago & Northwestern railway, running between Johnstown and the former place. He continued at this for some years, spending part of his time at home and assisting his father in building up his home and farm. The latter died January 18, 1899, and his death was deeply mourned by all who knew him as one of the leading citizens of his community and a highly esteemed old settler of this locality. Their first house on the homestead was a sod shanty, in which they lived for two years, then built a log house. There were many hard times and discouragement to contend with during the early years, going through the drouth periods, when for several years they were unable to raise even a fair crop, but as times grew better the farm was gradually improved and added to until it now contains three hundred and twenty acres of good land, two hundred and fifty acres of which are in a high state of cultivation. It is all fenced, and has good buildings and is one of the well kept and valuable estates in the county.
In September, 1888, Mr. Kenyon was married to Miss Jennie Freeman, daughter of a farmer and old settler in this county, and to Mr. and Mrs. Kenyon have been born the following children: Carl, Guy, Blanche and Glenn
The family have a pleasant and happy home and host of warm friends in the community.
ISAAC N. WARE.
Another one of Morrill (formerly Cheyenne) county's old-timers is found in the gentleman whose name heads this personal history. Mr. Ware is a man of interesting personality, genial and whole-souled, and has the esteem and confidence of all whom he comes in contact. He is a successful and prosperous agriculturist, residing in Camp Clark precinct, where he has a pleasant home.
Isaac N. Ware was born in Richland county, Wisconsin, April 5, 1859, the fourth in a family of five children. He was reared to the age of eighteen in that state, going from there to Henry county, near Newcastle, Indiana, where his parents spent one year, then moved to Lawrence county, Tennessee
Our subject's next move was to Nebraska, locating in North Platte, where he was overseer of a large ranch for two years, coming thence to Cheyenne county in the spring of 1887. He filed on a homestead on section 4, township 16, range 48, on which he proved up and improved, then sold it. Later he bought one hundred and sixty acres in section 12, township 20, range 51, all of which is under irrigation. Here
he engages in general farming and is making a success of his work. His place has good buildings and improvements and he is a progressive, up-to-date agriculturist.
Mr. Ware's father, John Ware, is dead, and the mother, who was Mary Gross in maidenhood, is living in Hershey, Nebraska. He was married in Tennessee on January 18, 1879, to Miss Ella Wickard, who is a native of Indiana and sister of Mr. Joel Wickard, of Cheyenne county, a sketch of whom appears else in this work. They are the parents of five children, as follows: Grace, wife of C. C. Carrier, a native of eastern Nebraska, born May 17, 1884, coming into Cheyenne county at the age of four years, where his parents were pioneers. Mr. And Mrs. Carrier were married on June 28, 1905, settling on a farm adjoining our subject's homestead. They have two children, Clarence and Edwin. The remaining children of Mr. Ware are John Leroy, Charles, George and Horace, who are industrious, energetic boys, helping their father carry on his farm.
Mr. Ware is a Democrat in political sentiment and affiliates with the Bridgeport camp, Modern Woodmen of America
ROBERT N. BIGGS.
Robert N. Biggs, who occupies a prominent place among the younger members of the farming and ranching community of Chambers precinct, is one of the successful men in that line in Cheyenne county, Nebraska. There he has built up a fine estate and gained an enviable reputation as a citizen and has a host of friends.
Mr. Biggs was born in Cloud county, Kansas, July 17, 1876. When he was four years of age his parents left that state, going to a farm near St Joseph, Missouri, where they spent two years, and from there moved to Boulder, Colorado. After two years' residence at that place they returned to Kansas, where our subject grew to the age of eleven. Their next move was to Kearney county, Nebraska, and after living there for four years, removed to Kimball county, where they resided until 1901, at which time they came to Cheyenne county and filed on the place which is now Mr. Bigg's home ranch. This is situated on section 34 and 27, township 13, range 52, consisting of six hundred and forty acres. About one hundred acres are cultivated, and he is engaged in stock raising on a large scale, dealing in both cattle and horses. The ranch is fitted with a complete set of substantial buildings and every improvement, and is one of the valuable tracts in the section. Prior to coming to Cheyenne county Mr. Biggs traveled for a number of years, being engaged on different cattle ranches throughout nearly all of the central and western states.
On November 2, 1900, Mr. Biggs was married at Sidney, Nebraska, to Miss Mary Ann Patton, whose parents, John and Mary (Carse) Patton, resided on a ranch in Banner county, Nebraska, twenty miles north of the town of Kimball
Both our subject's parents, John and Florence (Rutledge) Biggs, are living, residing part of the time on their ranch in Colorado and at other times in Kimball, where they have a fine residence. Mr. and Mrs. Biggs have two children, Francis and John.
In politics Mr. Biggs is a stanch Democrat and takes an active part in loal and school affairs. He has been a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen since 1896 at Kimball
ROBERT A. EMANUELSON.
Robert A. Emanuelson, who enjoys the distinction of being one of the old settlers of Cheyenne county, is a gentleman of untiring perseverance, possessed of a broad mind and good business ability, as is evidenced by his success in the accumulation of the valuable property which he possesses, all gained through his own efforts. He has met with many hardships and disappointments since coming to Nebraska, but has surmounted them all, and is now one of the substantial farmer of that region. He is interest to quite an extent in the dairy business at present, shipping the cream from about twenty cows. He devotes considerable of his attention to that branch of agriculture.
Mr. Emanuelson was born in Wilmington, Will county, Illinois, January 9, 1861. He was reared there, attending the common schools, where he received a substantial education, and followed farming in that vicinity during his young manhood. Coming west to Nebraska, he located in Cheyenne county in 1886, taking up his residence in Lodgepole at first. He secured work as section hand in the spring of 1889 and in the fall of 1890 became foreman, which position he held until the spring of 1897, resigning to give his entire attention to his ranch. In 1886 he took up a homestead in section 2, township 16, range 47, which he afterwards sold to the Club ranch. He the moved onto section 32, township 14, range 46, and ac-
quired additional land, until he is now owner of five hundred and sixty acres, two hundred and forty in section 32 and three hundred and twenty acres in the west half of section 29. The ranch is situated within half a mile of Lodgepole, on Lodgepole creek, and is a valuable piece of property.
He cultivates about sixty
acres, and uses the balance for hay land and pasture for his
stock, running about seventy-five head of cattle and horses.
His ranch is known as the Locust Grove ranch, taking its name
from the large number of locust trees on the place. He has it
all well improved with good buildings, fences and everything
necessary for its proper operation. We call attention to a fine
view of the premises with late improvement presented on another
The father is now making his home in Bates county, Missouri. The mother has been dead for some years. Our subject and his estimable wife are the parents of eight children, who are named as follows: Anna, William, Ilene, Rosella, Robert, Charles, George and Margaret, all living at home. Our subject's parents, Charles and Mary (Miller) Emanuelson, still occupy the old homestead in Wilmington, Will county, Illinois.
Mr. Emanuelson is a Republican and is seving as village trustee at the present time. He was formerly a member of the board of county commissioners during the years 1901-1907, inclusive. He affiliates with the Odd Fellows at Sidney and the Modern Woodmen at Lodgepole
ORRIN E. SMITH.
Among those who have in a great measure contributed to the success of Rock county, Nebraska, the above mentioned gentleman occupies a foremost place. He has resided in this region for many years, and is well known as one of the prominent citizens and public-spirited men. He has held the office of sheriff of the county ten years (five terms), and proved one of the most efficient officials the county ever had, being highly esteemed by all of the people.
Mr. Smith was born in Lake county, Illinois, August 29, 1851. His father, a native of New York, settled in Illinois when a young man, while his mother, Fatha Bower, was of German parentage. There were nine children in his father's family, and he was the third member. He was reared and educated in Woodbury county, Iowa, where his parents settled in 1852, having been among the oldest residents of that locality. He was brought up to do all kinds of work to be found in operating a farm and early learned to depend upon his own efforts, and the training thus instilled into his mind stood him in good stead in the later years of his life. At the age of sixteen years he left home and began working out on farms in Iowa. He remained in that region up to 1884, when he came to Nebraska and settled on a farm near Newport, Rock county. There he took a homestead and remained for about eight years. He built two good houses and improved the farm in other ways. He also filed on a pre-emption and timber claim, planting a large number of trees, which grew into a fine grove. He endured hard work and suffered many discouragements and much loss, but was determined to succeed so persevered until at once time he was the owner of eight hundred acres of food land. He has always been more or less engaged in stock raising, and has been very successful in this line as well as in grain raising. He took a homestead in section 32, township 31, range 19, in October, 1901, and finally secured the entire section, of which he cultivates fifty acres, keeping the rest as hay and grazing land. Dairying is a branch of farming now receiving some attention from Mr. Smith, the product of about fifteen cows being shipped to the eastern creameries.
Mr. Smith was married in Iowa on Christmas day, 1875, to Miss Bridget McGann, who bore him two children, Ulla and Maud. Mrs. Smith died while the family lived in Newport, and in 1897 he married Miss Carrie Courtney, whose father, John Courtney, was an old settler in Rock county. Two children resulted from this union, De Cleo and Ella.
Mr. Smith is a Republican
politically and one of the leading men in all affairs of local
interest. A view of the home and recent improvements and
additions is to be seen on another page
The above named gentleman is an old settler of Cherry county, and is one of the most prosperous ranchmen in that part of the coun-
try. He was born in Germany, October 10, 1854, and was reared there, and with is father, Christ Jessen, followed the occupation of carpenter upon reaching his fifteenth year. His mother Catherine Detlefson, who also born in Germany, and neither his father nor his mother ever left Germany. George Jessen is the first of a family of seven children, of whom four are living.
Mr. Jessen was married in 1878 to Mary Rosine Peterson, who was born in Germany in 1852. Although her parents never left the old country, one brother came to America and located in Rushville, Cherry county, Nebraska.
Mr. And Mrs. Jessen left their native home in 1872, sailing from Hamburg July 29th on the steamer India, and after a voyage of seventeen days they landed in New York. Later he settled in Clinton, Iowa, where he was manager of a large stock farm for four years. Then for two years Mr. Jessen worked at his trade of carpenter in Iowa and in 1888 he moved to Cherry and took a tree claim and later a homestead one and one-half miles east of Merriman. This he sold and bought four hundred and eighty acres of deeded land and also has an equal amount of Kincaid homestead land. Mr. Jessen worked as section foreman for three years at Merriman and then spent three years in Douglas, Wyoming, in the same capacity. He then left the employ of the railroad and started in as a ranchman. He went to work with a will and today owns nine hundred and sixty acres in section 7, township 34, range 36, all of which is fenced and improve, and stocked with one hundred and seventy-five head of cattle and about thirty horses. Mrs. Jessen also owns in her own right one hundred and seventy-five acres. He takes great pride in building up his farm, has a comfortable home, and will be contented to spend the balance of his life in Cherry county.
Mr. Jessen is one of the first settlers in this locality and has seen many hardships since coming to Nebraska, and says that he has had all the frontier life that he wants. However, he is well satisfied with what he has accomplished and is now prepared to enjoy the comfortable home which he has built up for himself and family. He has five children, named as follows: Catherine, wife of Alf Pruden; Nannie, teacher in Cherry county; Minnie and William (twins) and Bertha. They all have musical ability, playing a variety of instruments in their home concerts.
Mr. Jessen is a Republican and always votes a straight ticket. He is also a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Lutheran church
JOHN A. ANDERSON.
The opportunities afforded honest industry to gain a footing in America were embraced by the gentleman whose name heads this article, and he is now one of the recognized substantial ranchmen of Sioux county, Nebraska. He owns a valuable estate in section 21, township 33, range 56, and has the place improved so that it is indeed one of the model ranches of the region, its every appointment being the finest, and every corner showing the most painstaking care and splendid management in its operation. He is also one the old settlers of western Nebraska who has done his share in developing it into its present prosperity and has watched the growth and success that has come to the region through the efforts of those brave pioneers who have suffered many hardships n order to gain a home and competence in the far west.
Mr. Anderson was born near Christiana, in Norway, in 1866. He grew up in this western country in reality, coming here when a lad of fifteen years. His father was a farmer, born in Scotland. When John was a lad of fifteen years he left his native land and struck out for himself, taking passage on an emigrant ship bound for the new world, after landing in America, traveled across the country to Cheyenne, Wyoming, where he secure employment with the Brewster & Emmons Cattle Company and rode the range for some time, finally going into Colorado, where he spent a short while in the mountains. In 1884 he came to Sioux county and remained through the summer, then returned to Colorado, finally coming back to Sioux county in 1885, being to and fro between the two points for a number of years, being constantly in the employ of the War Bonnet Live Stock Company as a cowboy. He was in the vicinity of Harrison when that town was first white settlement in Sioux county, also being one of those who was present when the county was organized.
In 1887, in partnership with B. E. Brewster and P. O. Brewster, also Nels Anderson, a brother, Mr. Anderson formed a partnership and the syndicate bought out the War Bonnet Live Stock Company, the ranch being located in War Bonnet creek valley, and they continued this company for twenty-one years. Their interest extended all over this part of the country, and was one of the strongest concerns of its kind in the west. Mr. Anderson was foreman and general manager of the company, and they were phenomenally successful in their operation. He finally bought out his partners
in the fall of 1907, and is at present sole owner of the extensive ranching interests. The place consists of six thousand acres, located in War Bonnet creek valley, lying along Pine Ridge, and all of it is fenced and in first-class condition, supplied with a complete set of good buildings. Our subject has about four hundred acres irrigated for hay land, and cuts large quantities of grass each season. He has a large herd of high-grade Hereford cattle on the ranch, and ships many carloads to market each year.
Mr. Anderson married Miss Emma Walker in 1892. Mrs. Anderson was born at Fort Laramie, Wyoming, and is a daughter of George Walker, a prominent old settler of that region. Our subject and his amiable wife are the parents of a charming family, consisting of the following children: Mabel, Nellie, Laura, Jessie and Grace. They have a pleasant and happy home, surrounded by all the comforts of rural life and are highly esteemed by all in thee community as worthy residents and good citizens
DR. H. J. ARBOGAST.
The above mentioned gentleman, one of the well know citizens of Bartley, Nebraska, is a leading physician of Redwillow county, and highly esteemed by all who know him. He has built up an enviable reputation as a skillful and successful practitioner, and is a man of exceptional ability in his chosen profession.
Dr. Arbogast is a native of Tucker county, West Virginia, and came to Redwillow county with his parents when an infant. The family is of German descent, and four generations of Arbogasts lived in Tucker county, West Virginia. There were seven brothers, of whom our subject's father was the seventh member in order of birth of thirteen and fourth on his mother's side, two of whom served in the southern army, and all are still living, but one now dead settled in this locality and he located near Bartley. He was Salem Teter, and was was a farmer by occupation. There were twelve children in his father's family, and of these only one has died. In his mother's family (the Teters) there were fourteen children, three of whom are deceased, and these facts show the great vitality of these pioneer American-German families. The Teter family are also of German descent, but came to America and settled in Pennsylvania and Virginia before the Revolutionary war. Mrs. (Teter) Arbogast's grandfather on her mother's side is on the same family as Hon. Richard P. Bland, and bore that name, and served in the Revolutionary war, and all the family were a part of the early history of this country.
Dr. Arbogast was reared on his father's farm and educated at the Bartley high school, from which he graduated in 1899. He entered the University of Nebraska and took up the study of medicine, and graduated from this institution in 1905, at once beginning the practice of his profession in his home town, and has been very successful. He was appointed county coroner, and is serving his second term in that capacity. He is a Republican.
In 1906 Dr. Arbogast was married to Miss Bessie Enlow, of Cambridge, Nebraska, daughter of W. E. Enlow and Mary Bird Enlow. Mr. Enlow has been one of the leading merchants of Cambridge since 1886, coming here from Illinois in 1884. He is a prominent Mason and highly respected in the community
Isaac Roush, one of the leading citizens of Kimball county, is now well and favorably as the genial postmaster at Kimball, having held this position continuously for the past eleven years. He has the confidence and esteem of everyone with whom he comes in contact in a business or social way, and takes a prominent part in every movement for the advancement or benefit of his locality.
Mr. Roush was born in Snyder county, Pennsylvania, on August 13, 1863, and was reared there to the age of nineteen years. He was the sixth member in order of birth in a family of nine children, and is the only one who chose Nebraska as his permanent residence. In 1882 he left his native state and settled in Elkhart county, Indiana, following farming in that vicinity for about two years, at the end of that time coming to Kearney county, Nebraska, and worked on a sheep ranch for three years, later was connected with the John Biggs Lumber Company for about three years. In the latter part of April, 1890, Mr. Roush landed in Kimball county, and was manager of the Biggs Lumber Company at Kimball until 1894. The following year he went into the L. E. Schaffer general mercantile establishment, and was with that concern until 1898. On January 1 of that year he was appointed postmaster at Kimball and has since then filled the office continuously and exceptionally well and is liked by all. Mr. Rouch is a thoroughly good business man, self educated and self-made in every sense of the word, well read and possessing superior attainments, keen perception and sterling qualities of heart and mind