NEGenWeb Project
Kansas Collection Books

Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska

Fillmore County
Produced by
Connie Snyder.


Topography and General Features | Early History | Criminal Matters
The Grasshopper Raid | Organization | Other County Affairs
Elections | Progress of the County


Fairmont:  Early History | Churches and Schools | Societies
Business Interests | The Press | Biographical Sketches


Geneva:  Early History | Present Condition of the Town
Biographical Sketches


Grafton:  Biographical Sketches
Fillmore City | Manleyville | Exeter
Biographical Sketches:  Hamilton Precinct | Bryant Precinct
Bell Prairie Precinct | Momence Precinct

Part 3


   This town is the county seat of Fillmore County, and is located at the geographical center on school Section 36, Town 7, Range 3 west. Its location is a pleasant one, on the level, upland prairie. The town was laid out on an open prairie, but now a fine growth of forest and shade trees surrounds it. The population now numbers about five hundred, and its citizens are exceptionally progressive and enterprising. The buildings, both business houses and residences, are neat and artistic in design. There is no town in the State of its age and so few natural advantages, that presents a more beautiful appearance. Its location is about eight miles south from the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad in Nebraska, and the nearest railroad station is at Fairmont.


   The history of Geneva begins with the organic election of the county on April 19, 1871, when, by a vote of the people, the county seat was located here. As it was on school land belonging to the States, nothing could be done until arrangements were made for its purchase. The town was surveyed, however, on the 7th, 8th and 9th days of July, 1871, by Henry L. Badger, the County Surveyor. According to this survey, the original town site comprised a little more than forty-eight acres, and was laid out in lots forty-eight feet wide and one-hundred and eighty-four feet deep, with streets one hundred feet wide, and alleys sixteen feet wide.

   In accordance with an act passed by the Legislature, which provided for the sale of school lands, a public sale was held on June 17, 1872, when a number of lots were sold. Among these was the land purchased by the county, on which to erect public buildings. In due time, the purchasers received deeds from Gov. W. H. James.

   In December, 1872, work was commenced on the county buildings. The first building on the town site was the county jail, which was completed early in the year 1873. The next was the court house, completed in May, 1873. Soon after this, James H. Bigelow erected a small, one-story building, in which George Bigelow opened a store with a small stock of goods. A post office had now been established. The next building to be erected was a small store by A. S. Shepard & Co., on the lot where the Putnam House now is. The store was kept up but a short time, until the goods were removed, and the building sold to W. P. Friend, who occupied it as a hotel. It is now used as a residence.

   In April, 1874, A. G. Camp & Sons located here, bought the stock of goods belonging to George Bigelow, and opened a general merchandise store.

   In the spring of 1875, James H. Camp came to Geneva and built a hotel. In the fall of 1875, several business and professional men located, and improvements at once commenced.

   In April, 1876, M. M. Neeves founded the Review, the first paper to be published in the town. During the year 1876, the village began to improve rapidly, and several families made location here.

   Quite a progress had already been made, when, in the fall of 1877, P. M. Putnam began the erection of a hotel, which cost nearly $5,000. Encouraged by this, others came to Geneva, and since that time its progress has steadily been going on, until the present state of affairs has been reached. There are a number of business houses, all having a good trade, and carrying a complete stock of everything needed for a country trade.

   The Geneva Exchange Bank was incorporated June 4, 1880, by Smith, Fisher & Fifield. The capital of the bank is $20,000. This bank was the outgrowth of a collection and exchange business, started about two years before. by W. V. Fifield

   There is one newspaper published in Geneva. This is the Fillmore County Review, edited and published by M. M. Neeves. The paper is a seven-column folio, and is Republican in politics. It was established in Fairmont in October, 1875, by its present editor, and on the 12th day of April, 1876, was removed by him to Geneva, where it has since been published. Being the county seat paper, it is well patronized.


   There are in the village three church organizations--the Baptist, Methodist Episcopal and Christian. Besides these, Episcopal services are now held, and steps are being taken to organize a society. The Baptist and Methodist societies. both have large and comfortable houses of worship. Both were built in the year 1879. All the church organizations are well supported by the citizens of Geneva, who are generally a church-going people.

   As soon as the settlement of the town commenced, a school was established, and in due time a large schoolhouse was erected. This, however, is now too small to accommodate the increasing number of pupils. The school is now divided into two departments, each under control of an able instructor, and it is proposed to soon add another department.

   The lodges of secret societies are three in number. Geneva Lodge, No. 65, I. O. O. F., was organized March 27, 1877, with eleven charter members. J. D. Hamilton was the first Noble Grand, and B. F. Ryman, Worthy Secretary. This lodge has now a membership of fifty.

   Geneva Lodge, A., F. & A. M., was organized under dispensation in June, 1879, with J. E. Spear, Worthy Master, and George P. Wintersteen, Secretary. In June, 1880, it was organized under a charter, with fourteen members. J. M. Fisher was Worshipful Master, and W. C. Massey, Secretary. The lodge now has a membership of thirty-four.

   The I. O. of G. T. was organized May 8, 1876, with fifteen members. George Bigelow was Worthy Chief, and E. B. Brown, Worthy Secretary. At one time this lodge had a membership of one hundred and fifty. but now it has decreased to forty.

   Though small, Geneva may be said to be a musical town, and it gives substantial evidence of this in having three good brass bands. These are the Geneva Cornet Band, the Martial Band of Company G, and the Geneva Juvenile Band.

   Geneva has a military organization in Company G, First Regiment National Guards. This company was organized in the summer of 1881, and was first known as the Independent Rifles; but in the spring of 1882, it was by order transferred to the National Guards. In reviewing the company July 3, 1882, the Inspector General pronounced it one of the best drilled in the State. Lieut. N. S. Oliver, an experienced tactician, is Drill-master. The chief officers are: George F. Wintersteen, Captain; N. S. Oliver, First Lieutenant; W. S. Crawford, Second Lieutenant.

   Not the least of the attractions in Geneva is the public square, belonging to the county, which consists of two entire blocks. Some years ago a large number of forest and shade trees were set out, and they have already attained sufficient size to afford a good shade, and the square makes a beautiful park, and is a favorite spot for holding picnics and celebrations.

   Geneva is the home of Hon. Sherwood Burr, who, for the past four years, has been Secretary of the Nebraska State Senate.

   Geneva was incorporated as a village on July 8, 1879. The first Board of Trustees, appointed by the County Commissioners, were: M. M. Neeves, W. V. Fifield, George P. Wintersteen, D. H. Conant and Sherwood Burr. M. M. Neeves was elected Chairman, and W. V. Fifield, Clerk.

   The Town Board of Trustees for 1882 are George W. Smith, P. D. Sturdevant, James H. Bigelow, Robert Schofield and R. M. Hazlett. C. H. Bane is Village Clerk.


   SHERWOOD BURR was born in Sullivan County, N. Y., in 1851, living in Sullivan and Delaware Counties until 1868, engaged in the mercantile business, when he removed to Winnebago County, Ill., where he taught school, and was for a short time engaged in the grain business. In 1871, removed to Durant, Iowa, where he remained for three years, farming in the summer, and teaching in the winter, when he removed to Geneva, Neb., where he was appointed by J, E. Spear, the County Clerk, as his Deputy. He was afterward Deputy to J. Jensen, County Clerk. Afterward engaged in the law and real estate business with C. M. Northup, until 1878, when he went into real estate, loan and insurance business. He was a delegate to the Republican State Convention several times. He was on County Central Committee twice. He was elected Secretary of the State Senate in 1879, and again in 1881, serving for four years. He was in the office with the County Treasurer two years; was appointed Postmaster in Geneva in 1881; Trustee of Town Board one year. He was married, in January, 1878, in Geneva, to Laura Warner. They have one child--Laura A. (living), and Alfred M. (deceased.) He is a member of the Geneva Lodge, No. 79, A., F. & A. M., and Lebanon Chapter, R. A. M.

   S. B. CAMP was born in Bradford County, Penn., in February, 1845; lived there until twenty years of age, when he moved to Lee County, Ill., remaining one year, going to Jasper County, Iowa, where he lived three years; then returned to Pennsylvania, where he followed farming and teaching band music one and one-half years, then returned to Jasper County, Iowa, where he followed farming and stock-raising for two years. In December, 1870, removed to Fillmore County. Neb., taking a homestead four miles south and six east of Geneva, where he has farmed since. In the fall of 1873, taught band music in Beatrice, Neb., and then went to Iowa, returning in the fall of 1874, when he went into the mercantile business in Fairmont; but, after a few months, removed his stock to Geneva; name of the firm, A. G. Camp & Sons. He was one of the first Justices of the Peace elected in the county, before the county was organized into precincts. Has been Treasurer of the School District, No. 75, for the last five years, until last year he was a member of the Town Board. In November, 1879, he was elected Clerk of the District Court for four years. Was Postmaster immediately after removing to Geneva. He was married, in 1868, in Pennsylvania, to Ida Purdy. They have three children--Addie May, Carl Alvey and Ernst O.

   W. H. COOKSEY was born in Scott County, Ill., in 1847, where he lived until twenty-seven years of age, teaching school. In 1875, removed to Dean, Appanoose Co., Iowa, where he remained for five years engaged in general mercantile business. In April, 1880, removed to Geneva; was admitted to the bar in 1881, forming a copartnership with J. Jensen in 1881, for the practice of law. He was married, in December, 1874, in Alexandria, Mo., to A. E. Stansbury. They have three children. He is Notary Public for Fillmore County. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.

   R. T. DAIRLY, physician and surgeon, Geneva, Neb. He first came to Nebraska with his parents in the fall of 1856 and settled in Peru, Nemaha Co., Neb., and lived there until 1873. His father, Samuel G. Dairly, was one of the early pioneers of Eastern Nebraska and a Delegate in Congress from Nebraska, taking his seat in 1859. He was a lawyer by profession and a representative man in his State. The subject of this sketch began the study of medicine in 1874, took a partial course of lectures in Indianapolis, Ind., attended a full course of lectures at Kansas City, from 1876-77. He began the practice of medicine at Geneva, Neb., in the spring of 1877, and has continued since. He was born January 24, 1851, in Madison, Ind.; was married n Peru, Neb., November 21, 1871, Miss Eliza J. Brazelton, of Madison, Ind. They have five sons--Robt. F., Walter S., John B., Richard T., William M. He is a member of the Nebraska State Central Medical Society.

   JOHN A. DEMPSTER, dealer in general merchandise, drugs, notions, etc., opened business in December, 1875, and carries a stock of about $8,000, employs three clerks, and does a large trade, reaching $25,000 per annum. He first came to Beatrice in March, 1871; there he engaged in freighting and farming; took a homestead in Franklin Precinct, Fillmore County, January, 1872. Was County Superintendent of Public Instruction from April 16, 1872, to January 1, 1878; Postmaster at Geneva four years, from 1878 to 1882. He was born in Dundee, Ill., September 28, 1840; lived in his native State until he came to Nebraska. Enlisted in August, 1861, in Company I, Fifty-second Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry; participated in seventeen general battles; mustered out as Hospital Steward in July, 1865. Married in Woodstock, in November, 1865, to Miss Flora C. Paxson, of New York. They have five children--Edward J., Laroy P., Elva C., Mabel B. and John H. Mr. D. is a member of the Wilson Post, No. 22, G. A. R.; also a member of the Blue Lodge, A., F. & A. M., of Geneva Chapter Lodge of Sutton, Neb.; I. O. O. F., Geneva Lodge, No. 65, Stacey Encampment of Fairmont, Neb., No. 11.

   WALTER V. FIFIELD was born in Dubuque, Iowa, in 1846, where he lived only two years, when his parents removed to Manchester, Iowa, where he remained for three years, and from there to Cedar Falls, remaining ten years. From there he went to Lincoln, Neb., remaining only a short time. Returning to Iowa, he entered Iowa College in Grinnell, where he remained for two years, when he returned to Lincoln, where he remained for two years studying law with Groff & Ames. In 1875, removed to Geneva, engaging in the practice of law, which he follows to-day. He was admitted to the bar in 1876. In 1878, he went into the banking business with C. H. Bane, which he followed until 1879, when he was alone in the business. In 1880, he went into the Geneva Exchange Bank of Smith, Fisher & Fifield. He was married in August, 1879, in Fairmont, to Anna M. Richardson. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and I. O. G. T.

   T. J. FLEMING, Proprietor of the Putnam House Livery Stable, keeps about ten head of horses and five carriages for the business; he began in March, 1880. He came to Fairmont September 12, 1878, and engaged in the above business; continued it until he came to Geneva. Was born in Indiana County (same name), Penn., June 9,1849. Lived in his native State about six years; his parents then moved with their family to Lena, Ill., and here lived fifteen years. He began as a salesman for a horse company, and continued four years. He then went to Springfield, Mass., and took charge of the sale stable of Fleming & Fuller two years. Returned to Lena, Ill., and shipped a carload of horses to Fairmont, Neb., and opened the above business. Married in the latter place June 5, 1879, to Miss Allie Richards, of Fairmont. They have one son--George Whitefield.

   J. D. HAMILTON was born in Perry County, Ill., in 1844, where he remained only a year, his parents removing to various places in the State prior to July 15, 1861, at which time he enlisted in the Eighteenth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, Company A, serving until November 15, 1864, when he was mustered out. He then returned to Perry County, Ill., where he lived until the spring of 1873. Was Justice of the Peace and Postmaster of Pinckneyville; from there he removed to Fillmore County, Neb., taking a homestead and farming until the fall of 1876, when he was appointed County Judge, serving for three years. He then farmed for two years, after which he commenced the practice of law, having been admitted to the bar in 1875. Was a member of the State Constitutional Convention in 1875. He was married in 1866, in Perry County, Ill., to Miss R. J. Edwards. They have one child living and three deceased. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.

   W. G. HANNES was born in Monroe County, Penn., in 1847, where he lived until 1872, following, during the last seven years, lumbering and railroading. In the latter year, he removed to Fillmore County, taking a homestead and followed farming until January 1, 1882. In November, 1881, he was elected Sheriff of Fillmore County, moving to town in January of the following year. He was married in 1873, in Fillmore County, to Hannah Walker. They have four children. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.

   DR. G. R. HART, physician and surgeon, first came to Fillmore County, Neb., and located on a homestead on Turkey Creek, Geneva Precinct, July 11,1871, Section 30, Town 7, Range 3 west, 160 acres, 120 of which is under cultivation. He also practiced medicine there, which he has since continued, being the first physician to locate in Fillmore County. Moved into Geneva in the fall of 1878. Born in Erie County, Penn., March 7, 1835. Parents moved to Branch County, Mich., 1838, and lived there until 1854; then moved to the vicinity of Streator, La Salle Co., Ill., where he began the study of medicine in 1865. He enlisted as a musician August 23, 1862, in the One Hundred and Fourth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was placed on detached service. Participated in the battles of Nashville, Elk River, Hoover's Gap, Spring Hill and Franklin; mustered out at Nashville, July, 1865. He then soon began to study medicine, having served in the medical department during a part of service in the army. Studied in the office of Dr. G. B. Walker, of Paxton, Ill., three years. Began to practice medicine in Ford County, Ill., and continued until he came to Nebraska. He took a full course at the Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill. Was married in Bruce Township, Ill., in 1856, to Miss Susan Deenis. They have four children--Henry I., Emma M., Mary A. and William F. His wife died April, 1863. He was again married November, 1864, to Mary A., a sister of his first wife. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and of Wilson Post, No. 22, being Post Surgeon of same also member Central Nebraska Medical Association.

   AMOS HERR was born in Dayton, Ohio, in 1851, where he lived until he was ten years old, removing from there to Muscatine, Iowa, where he lived until 1872, farming and engaged in raising stock. From there, he moved to Union County, Iowa, and then to Nebraska in 1876, and lived with his family, consisting of wife and four children, in Fillmore County. Bought two sections of land in Nuckolls County, and engaged in raising cattle and sheep, and now owns 150 head of cattle of different ages, and 1,700 head of sheep. Mr. Herr is one of Nebraska's successful farmers and stock-raisers.

   J. JENSEN was born in Prussia in 1843, where he lived until 1862, when he removed to America, settling in Fond du Lac, Wis., where he remained nine months, enlisting, in 1863, in the First Wisconsin Heavy Artillery. Promoted to Second Lieutenant of Company B. Was mustered out in May, 1866. Went to Davenport, Iowa, where he remained until January 1, 1868, removing from there to Lincoln, Neb., where he was engaged in the lumber trade for one year; then established a lumber yard in Pleasant Hill, Saline County, where he remained for two years, when he removed to Geneva, following farming until 1876, when he was elected County Clerk, serving for four years. Since then, has followed law, real estate and insurance, also farming. He was married, Christmas Day, 1870, at Camden, to Eva T. Hooker. They have four children, two boys and two girls living, and one deceased. He is a member of the Knights of Honor.

   C. P. KING was born in Montgomery County, Ind., in 1838, where he remained for only a short time, his parents removing to Des Moines County, Iowa, where he lived until 1867, following farming. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, First Iowa Volunteer Infantry, on three months' call; then went as Second Lieutenant Fourteenth Iowa Infantry, and was promoted to First Lieutenant; served until December, 1864, when he was discharged at the expiration of time. Was wounded through right shoulder at the battle of Old Oaks, La. In 1867, went to Walla Walla, W. T., where he farmed until 1874, returning the latter year to Iowa. In 1878, removed to Fillmore County, engaging in farming. He was elected, in 1881, as Sergeant-at-Arms of the House of Representatives of Nebraska. He was married, in 1862, in Iowa, to Melvina Vannice. They have six children. He is a member of the G. A. R., and also of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

   J. B. LEWIS was born in Ontario County, N. Y., in 1823, where he lived twelve years, when he moved to Washtenaw County, Mich. There he lived twenty-seven years, farming and teaching. In 1862-63-64, attended Hillsdale College. In 1865, he removed to La Grange County, Ind., spending three years in an academy there and three years in an academy at Orland, Ind., as Principal of the establishment. In 1871, removed to Fillmore County, taking a homestead, and followed farming and teaching until the winter of 1877-78, when he was elected County Superintendent of Public Instruction, and is now serving on his third two-year term. Was Justice of the Peace two terms in Washtenaw County, also Superintendent of Public Instruction eight years. He was married, in Michigan, in 1848, to Emily Morgan. They have four children living--Edgar G., Elva J.; Mary A. (now married to Mr. Josiah Cramer, a postal agent on the B. & M. R. R.,) Flora E. and one deceased. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and of the I. O. G. T.

   ROBERT A. McKEE was born in Scotland in 1840, where he lived until twelve years old, when he came to America, settling in Pittsburgh, Penn., where he remained until 1854, at which time he entered West Point Military Academy, graduating in 1858 as Second Lieutenant of engineering and tactics. In the summer and fall of that year, was on correction survey through Iowa, and, in the spring of 1859, was ordered to Texas, where he remained nearly a year. Was then ordered to the arsenal at Pittsburgh, Penn., where he remained until April, 1861, when he was ordered to St. Louis to take charge of ordnance stores there. During the war, served as staff officer in the Adjutant General's Department, Army of the Tennessee, Military Division of the Mississippi. At the close of the war, was with Gen. Sherman; promoted on regular grades, from Second Lieutenant to full grade of Major; in the regular army, brevet grades of Colonel and Lieutenant Colonel. He was wounded in the face at Duck River Bridge, at Columbia, Tenn., and in the breast, in the charge of November 25, at Mission Ridge. Still in the service, but not in regular duty. Left the service in November, 1869, going to Jasper County, Iowa, where he followed the practice of law until March, 1878, when he removed to Geneva, Neb., engaging in law, which he still continues. He was married, in 1876, in Iowa, to Miss Elizabeth Hiskey. He is a member of the G. A. R., and Past Commander of Wilson Post, No. 22.

   M. M. NEEVES was born in Syracuse, N. Y., in 1841. Lived there until he was seventeen years old, when he moved to Rochester, Minn., where he followed the printing business until 1865, when he removed to Nebraska, settling in Seward County on a homestead, where he remained until 1875. In this year, he removed to Fairmont, establishing the Review in October of that year. The following April, removed the same to Geneva, and has published the paper there since. He has been a member of every Republican State Convention since his residence in the State, and formerly was on the State Central Committee. He was married, in 1860, in Rochester, Minn., to Laura E. House. They have three children--all living. He is a member of the Blue Lodge, A., F. & A. M., and a member of the I. O. O. F

   J. T. PLATT was born in Harrison County, Ohio, in 1817, where he lived only one year, when he moved to Richland County, Ohio, where he remained until he was thirty-one years of age. When at eighteen years of age, he was engaged as clerk in a dry goods store at Mansfield, Ohio. Removed to Williams County, Ohio, where he remained for twenty-five years engaged in the mercantile business at Montpelier. In 1869, removed to Orland, Ind., where he was in the hardware business for four years, when, in 1874, he removed to Geneva, Neb., and in the following year engaged in the mercantile business, firm of J. T. Platt & Co. He was married in 1847, in Richland County, Ohio, to Lovina Lindsay; they have three children. His wife died in March, 1852. Re-married, in 1853, in Williams County, Ohio, to Mary A. Phillips; they have six children. Wife died in August, 1873. Re-married, June, 1877, to Mrs. Lydia A. Evans, and is still a member of the firm of J. T. Platt & Co.

   P. M. PUTNAM was born in Windsor County, Vt., in 1820, where he lived for thirty years. From there he went to Dodge County, Wis., where he followed farming for fifteen years. He went to Waukesha County in the spring of 1865, where he farmed until 1877, when he moved to Fillmore County, Neb., locating on a farm adjoining village site of Geneva. In 1878, built the first hotel in Geneva. which he ran for three years, after which he leased it for a year, taking possession again on the expiration of that time. The Putnam House was erected in the spring of 1878, at a cost of $3,500, by P. M. Putnam, the present proprietor. It is a frame structure, of which main building is 32x40 feet, three stories high, with a mansard root, and a wing 18x32 feet. The hotel is kept in first-class style, and the traveler going there will be well cared for. He has a large livery barn in connection with hotel, 30x50 and 28x34 feet, erected at a cost of $1,000; can keep forty horses. He was married, in 1847, in Springfield, Vt., to Mary S. Spafford, of same place. They have three children living, whose names are Herbert L., Leman C. and Georgia V., and three deceased. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and also of the I. O. G. T. He was Treasurer of the Fillmore County Agricultural Society for three years.

   W. H. READ was born in Ashland County, Ohio, in 1843, where he lived until eighteen years old, when he enlisted in the Eighth Ohio Infantry in August, 1861, serving until discharged in May, 1862; accidentally wounded at New Creek, Va. Re-enlisted, in 1863, in the Second Ohio Heavy Artillery, serving until the end of the war. In 1865, went to Michigan, and settled in Kalamazoo County, where he remained for two years. Went to Traverse Bay, where he remained until 1870, farming and lumbering. In the latter year, returned to Ashland County, Ohio, where he was in a saw-mill until 1871, removing, in April of that year, to Fillmore County, taking a tree claim two miles from Geneva. He was married, in 1867, in Ohio, to Sarah A. Harbaugh. They have six children--Ezra L., Arthur Harvey, Eva, Ione, Edna Mabel and Garfield. He is a member of Methodist Episcopal Church and of the G. A. R.

   E. SHEPARD was born in Livingston County, N. Y., in 1833, where he lived for twenty-five years, farming most of the time. Then went to Warren County, Penn., where he followed farming and lumbering for fourteen years. In 1872, removed to Nebraska, settling in Fillmore County, taking a homestead seventeen miles southwest of Geneva. In July, 1862, he enlisted in the Twenty-first Pennsylvania Cavalry, serving nine months, being discharged in February, 1863. He was County Commissioner of Fillmore County for six years, and Deputy Sheriff of the county for three years. He was married, in 1857, in Pennsylvania, to Regina Strong. They have one child--Clayton S. He is a member of the G. A. R., Wilson Post, No. 28.

   H. L. SMITH was born in Franklin County, N. Y., in 1828, where he lived until seven years old, when he removed to Summit County, Ohio, where he lived for two or three years, when he went to Licking County, where he entered Granville College, now Dennison University, remaining two years, when he went to Delaware County, where he remained for six years and then to Williams County for eight or nine years, and from there to Steuben County, Ind., where he commenced the practice of medicine at Orland, where he remained until 1875. Then he removed to Geneva, Neb., and engaged in the real estate business, and also in the mercantile business in the firm of J. P. Platt & Co., which latter he continues at the present time. He hold a captain's commission from Gov. Morton during the war, and was called out two or three times. He is one of the Directors of the State National Bank of Lincoln, Neb. He was married in 1854, in Mansfield, Ohio, to Phoebe A. Williams. She died in 1875, leaving two children. He is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Council of A., F. & A. M., of the Subordinate Lodge and Encampment I. O. O. F., and I. O. G. T. and S. T. For twelve years consecutively he was Trustee of the Northeastern Indiana Literary Institute.

   G. P. WINTERSTEEN was born in Geauga County, Ohio, in August, 1844, where he lived until April, 1860, when he went to Trumbull County, Ohio, following the oil trade, returning in 1861 to Geauga County, enlisting in Battery C, First Ohio Light Artillery Volunteers in September of that year, serving until January 3, 1864. He enlisted the following day in the same regiment and battery as a volunteer, serving until June, 1865. He returned to Ohio and attended school for six months and then went to Wisconsin and run on the Wisconsin River for one season, and then settled in Darlington; Wis., in 1867, clerking in a store. He then went to Grant County, where he engaged in the mercantile business, which he followed until 1871, when he moved to Fillmore County, Neb., where he followed farming for a year. He then went to Beaver Crossing, Seward County, where he followed the mercantile business for a year and a half. He then went to Aurora, Neb., engaging in real estate and machine business. In 1874, he went on the road traveling for a machine house until 1877, when he was appointed Deputy Clerk by the County Clerk, J. Jensen, serving until elected Clerk in November, 1879, biking office January 1, 1880. He was re-elected for the term commencing January 1, 1882. He is a member of the G. A. R., I. O. O. F. and Blue Lodge and Chapter A., F. & A. M., also Encampment.

Top of Page   First Page   Back   Next

County Index