Obit: Gehrt, Herman August (1855 - 1944)

Transcriber: Janet

Herman August Gehrt passed away at his home in the town of Pine Valley on February 4, 1944. Funeral services were held at the Jaster funeral home and at the Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church on February 8. Rev. N. J. Dechant, pastor of Zion Church was the officiating clergyman. Burial took place in the Neillsville Cemetery.

Mr. Gehrt was born in Koslin, Germany, August 30, 1855 and was 88 years of age. He had been a farmer most of the years of his life and had been active until about two months ago, when his health began to fail.

He was married to Miss Emelia Krueger, in Germany, in 1889. They came to America soon after, settling in Neillsville, where his brother, Henry, had come a few years earlier. Fifty-two years ago, he purchased a farm in the town of Pine Valley where he has resided ever since. He was a resident of Clark County for 55 years.

Mr. Gehrt was a member of the Reformed Church for many years. He was one of the organizers of the Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church, which was originally located in Pine Valley, near his home and later, moved to Neillsville. He was an active worker in the church, as long as his health permitted. (The Zion Church Building was located one-half mile from the Gehrt farm. The congregation later moved to a worship site in Neillsville, on West 5th Street. The country church building was razed after several years of standing on its Pine Valley site.)

The deceased was preceded in death by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Gehrt, by three brothers and one sister. His wife passed away in 1934. One sister, Mrs. Hulda Martens, lives in Germany. He is also survived by six children, seven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. The children are: Otto Gehrt and Willie Gehrt, Pine Valley, Willie residing on the home farm; Mrs. Christ (Mary) Mohr, also of Pine Valley; Martha Gehrt, who lives on the home farm; Mrs. Arthur (Elsie) Berger, Neillsville;; and Mrs. Charles (Emma) Marden, town of Hewett.

(Added note by great-granddaughter, Dolores, The church was named Prince of Peace and was at the southwest corner of Sydney Ave. and Sand Road)



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel