NEGenWeb Project


Bird's-eye View of Tarnov in 1928.

served as Senator from Platte and Colfax counties. It was about this time that he began a series of experiments with winter wheat, feeling confident that it was a crop well suited to Nebraska climate and soil. He secured seed from Odessa, Russia, and after repeated plantings and recording and comparing of results, he undertook winter wheat planting as an investment. His experiment resulted in introducing winter wheat into the state, as recorded by the Nebraska State Historical Society.


His later years were filled with the engrossing interests of his farm and home. He kept careful records of weather and crops and fruit production. He was always improving, rejecting and experimenting, and in consequence, his efforts


The Humphrey Volunteer Fire Department About 1911.


Horizontal bar

were most successful. He died after a brief illness of pneumonia on December 12, 1897.

Catherine Gilfoyle Maher, the widow, was left with the family of five children to continue the work of Michael Maher. She tried to carry on as he would have wished her to do and she continued to live on the farm with her sons managing the estate. But her vision of conquest and attainment had vanished with the death of her companion in adventure. She was always patient and gentle and even happy, but with a spirit of waiting for release. Her children and her home became her whole life, for with the death of her husband she realized anew what the life of a pioneer woman meant. When she had left her mother and her family and set forth as a bride, she felt in her heart that they would all meet again. Life seemed sure and easy and adventuresome. Settling in the far western prairies, she never again saw her mother and sisters, and she and her husband and little children became so close that the hand of death alone could break the tie that bound them. Mrs. Maher died in 1909. Her grave is beside that of her husband, their son Edward, Mr. Maher's brother Thomas, and his father and mother, Edward and Catherine Blake Maher, in St. Joseph's cemetery.


Thomas Ottis was born at Bingen on the Rhine, in the year 1834. He came to the United States in 1853, settling what was then outside but is now part of Cleveland, Ohio. In 1854 he moved to Central Mine, Michigan, in the great copper region and helped develop it. In 1856 he was united in holy wedlock at Eagle Arbor, Michigan, to Honora O'Sullivan. Their marriage was blessed with twelve children, eight of whom survived him: T. K. Ottis, Mary E., Ellen H. (Sr. Pauline, O. S. Fr.); Nancy (Mrs. W. M. Condon); Nora (Sr. Mary James, Soc. BI. Sacrament), at Cornwell, Pennsylvania; Clara (Sr. M. Colette, O. S. Fr.); D. M., and F. J., of St. Paul. In 1881, he, with his family of eight children removed to Humphrey and since identified himself with the growth of the town for over twenty-seven years. He laid out two additions to the town, donated the land for the church, erected a store, built a fine residence, organized a bank (The Ottis & Murphy Bank), which existed till 1928, and engaged in the grain and lumber business.

Mr. Ottis suffered a stroke and passed to a better life after a protracted illness of nine months on August 19, 1908. He was a man who united sound sense with sound convictions and possessed a candid, outspoken temperament eminently fitted to mould the rude elements of pioneer society into form and consistency and thus aided in raising a high standard of citizenship in our young and growing state. He knew how to look at the bright side of everything and to extract a good amount of joy out of life as it flitted past and he never forgot the hospitality of pioneer days. He was a good husband, father, friend and neighbor.


One of the best known and most progressive men of Humphrey was Dr. William Marion Condon, who had resided in Humphrey for more than thirty years. He was born June 7, 1865, near Indianapolis, Indiana. The family lived for some time at Teutopolis and then at Effingham, Illinois. Several brothers became dentists. W. M. Condon studied dentistry under an elder brother as he worked during the day. After obtaining his diploma, he came to Adele, Iowa, at the age of nineteen and in 1885 to Humphrey to practice dentistry, of which he made a great success. On September 7, 1893, he was married to Nancy Ottis; they were the last couple to be married in the old church. Their union was blessed with two children, Nora M. and Marion Ruth, the latter dying in infancy.

For many years he also had an office at Madison. Later on he became interested in the Ottis and Murphy bank but sold out his holdings in the bank and became interested in the Atlas Land Company. Dr. Condon also had a pure-bred herd of Holstein Cattle, one of the best herds in Nebraska, on his farm east of Humphrey. There he also located Condon park, where some does roamed about. The doctor was very progressive and did much towards the upbuilding of Humphrey. He also placed his large library at the disposal of the public. During the early years of his life at Humphrey he took a great part in the social life and public affairs of the community; but during his later years he lived a more retired life, although he never lost interest in the things that in his mind were of benefit to town and country. Dr. M. A. Condon also taught for some time in the Creighton University Medical Department.

If Dr. Condon proposed to himself some goal, no obstacle which rose in his path seemed too large for him to overcome. Withall he was a charitable man, but sincere and severe, and justly so, in his condemnation of those things which he did not think worthy of the assistance and the charity of the public.

About 1917, when the health of Mrs. Condon failed, the family moved to Long Beach, California. There Dr. Condon lost his life in the Pacific Ocean when bathing in the attempt to save the life of Dr. Dan M. Ottis. His daughter Nora was rescued. The tragedy happened May 21, 1920. Interment was from St. Anthony's


Horizontal bar


church of Long Beach and at Sunnyside cemetery.


Mr. Mathew Fuchs was born in Austria in 18??, came in 1867 to Wisconsin, labored as farm hand, came in May, 1873, to Platte county; took up a homstead (sic) and timber claim in Humphrey township. In 1884 he retired. Mr. Fuchs passed away January 16, 1898, at the age of 85 years. His widow followed him to the grave at the age of 87, in 1915.


Ferdinand Fuchs, prominent farmer and stockman, owner of the Humphrey View farm, on Sections 29 and 30, Humphrey township, passed away January 12, 1930. He was a native of Austria, the son of Matthew and Rosalia (Steinbeck) Fuchs, being born October 14, 1857. In 1867 the family came to Dane county, Wisconsin, and in May, 1873, to Humphrey, Nebraska, where they homesteaded on section 28. In 1884 Mr. Matthew Fuchs retired from active farming and took up his residence in Humphrey, where he passed away in 1898.

Ferdinand Fuchs acquired his education in the schools of Austria. He assisted his parents in farming until the age of 25 years. On June 26, 1883, he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Brockhaus, daughter of G. H. and Anna (Somners) Brockhaus. He then farmed on his own account on his father's place. He repeatedly increased his holdings until he owned 1,120 acres. Mr. Fuchs was one of the most prominent, progressive and successful farmers and stock-raisers of Humphrey. He displayed sound judgment in the management of all his interests, and his plans were at once practical and progressive. He was one of the organizers of the Farmers' Elevator Company of Humphrey and continuously served on its board of directors.

To Mr. and Mrs. Fuchs 12 children were born: John F., Mary, Johanna, Joseph, Elizabeth, Rose, Frank, Henry, George, Odelia, Anton and Alice. Mr. Fuchs was also one of the chief supports and a trustee of St. Francis Parish. He repeatedly served as assessor of Humphrey township, township treasurer and as a member of the Humphrey school board.


The J. P. Braun Home (Now Hubert Braun's)


Jacob Ripp, Humphrey.


Joseph and Philomena Wemhoff


Horizontal bar


The Henry Greisen Family.


Henry and Mary Elpers Lohaus were both natives of Germany. They immigrated to Baltimore and after two years removed to Iowa and in 1877 to Humphrey township, purchased a timber claim of 160 acres, and later purchased more, a total of 480 acres. He died in March, 1906. His wife answered the final summons in March, 1913.

Bernard Lohaus was born in Humphrey township in 1878.


Gerard H. Brockhaus was born at Wedel Kirchspiel, Badbergen, Hannover, on February 10, 1828. He came to the United States in 1848 via Baltimore and drifted about seven years when he became a resident of Ottogama county, Wisconsin, near Appleton, living on a farm from 1865 to 1876, when he came to Platte county, Nebraska, and purchased land in Grand Prairie and Humphrey townships. He finally owned a section of land. He was married to Anna Summers. She gave birth to children. His wife preceded him in death, Dec. 1, 1879.


Dr. Anthony Cauley, aged 51 years, for a quarter of a century a successful and prominent physician of Humphrey, passed away

March 14, 1930, at his home. Death resulted from cancer after two operations at the Mayo Brothers' Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, after spending some time at Flagstaff, Arizona, and at come Sioux City hospital. Dr. Cauley was removed to his Humphrey home 10 days prior to his demise.

Throughout his life here Dr. Cauley took a keen interest in Humphrey civic affairs, and was influential through his advice. He served one term as mayor two years ago, but declined renomination, in order to devote his undivided attention to his practice. Quiet and unassuming in manner, and possessed of a pleasing personality, Dr. Cauley counted his friends by the score. A partnership with Dr. Harry Elston, M. D., which had been formed about two years ago, was dissolved recently on account of Dr. Cauley's failing health.

Dr. A. Cauley was a lover of good books and spent much time in reading. He was a devout member of the Catholic Church and of the Knights of Columbus and Catholic Foresters. The Doctor was born in Marengo, Iowa, on May 24, 1878, and attended school at the Benedictine College of St. John's, Collegeville, Minnesota, and graduated from Creighton University in the class of 1904. He took up his residence at Humphrey in 1905 and on May 2, 1906, he was married to Miss Lottie Malloy at Huron,


Horizontal bar

South Dakota. Mrs. Cauley and two daughters, Charlotte, and Eileen (Marjorie died of consumption a few months ago), two brothers and sisters, Mrs. Thomas Walsh and Mrs. Catherine Carey, of Marcus, Iowa; Dr. Frank Cauley, of Anthon, Iowa, and John Cauley of Lodge Wood, Iowa, survive him. The remains were laid to rest in St. Francis cemetery at Humphrey.


John E. Hugg, aged sixty-four years, passed away at St. Elizabeth's Hospital, Lincoln, Nebraska, on February 6, 1931. The cause of death was diabetes, from which he had been suffering for many years but which became more serious last September. He had been one of Humphrey's most influential citizens for nearly thirty-nine years.

Born at St. Charles, Missouri, June 4, 1867, he attended the schools at St. Charles and the St. Louis University Jesuit College. He first labored as a clerk in a department store at West Point, Nebraska, and on February 3, 1891, he was united in holy wedlock to Miss Mary Hunker. In March, 1892, they came to Humphrey as manager of the Hunker Brothers Lumberyard. In 1906 he became cashier of the First National Bank and later on its president until ill health compelled his resignation in 1929. A capable business man of highest integrity, Mr. Hugg always displayed a keen interest in all the affairs of the community. He organized the first electric light and power company and was an associate of the Humphrey Telephone Company. He also served as the first chief of the fire department and was instrumental in securing the water works for Humphrey. As a member of the town board and president of the Park Association, he worked with indefatigable energy for all movements of benefit to the community. He also served as precinct assessor for two years. He was an ardent democrat, going many times as delegate to the county and state conventions, though he never sought public office.

"His was a heart of gold," says the Humphrey Democrat, "and to many in the community did he lend a helping hand assisting them in every way possible, and many sought his advice in affairs of business. Exteriorly he liked to appear gruff; but underneath there lived the man who was charitable, friendly and kind, the man who took an interest in all. Humphrey owes much to him. He had a kindly attitude toward life and met its joys with an appreciative heart and its vicissitudes with cheerful optimism and saw good in all of God's people. He was a loyal member of St. Francis' Catholic Church."

Father Benvenute officiated at the funeral services and the members of the Knights of Columbus, of which organization he had been Grand Knight several times, the Catholic Order of Foresters and of St. Joseph's Society, of which Mr. Hugg was a member, attended in a body.

Mrs. Hugg's eldest sister, Mrs. Mattie Seeler, died February 8, 1931, at the home of another sister, Mrs. Oliver Link, at St. Charles, Missouri. Besides Mrs. Mary Hugg and daughter Camilla, a trained nurse, Mr. J. E. Hugg is survived by a brother, Wm. Hugg, of Miami, Florida.


Peter Noonan, former owner of Walnut Grove Farm, Burrows township, was born in Ireland, March 13, 1849, and spent his youth in the Emerald Isle and in England. In 1873 he came to Fort Lee, New Jersey, where he worked for a while.

In 1874 he settled in Platte County on a homestead, broke the virginal prairie and erected the necessary buildings. He was the first supervisor and school officer of his district from 1877 to 1915.

By careful and systematic effort he was very successful and enjoyed all the comforts of a modern farm home. He continued to prosper until he had acquired 1,220 acres, 740 in Platte County and 480 in Sheridan County.

In 1891 he was united in marriage to Miss Catherine Roddy and their union was blessed with ten children. James, who is a real estate and insurance man living in Omaha; John, Peter and Michael, who are farming in the home vicinity; Bridget (Mrs. Thomas Marren), who passed away March 10th, 1924; Catherine, Sr. M. Bridget, O. S. Fr., teaching in New Mexico; Mary (Mrs. James Dunn) of Platte Center; Thomas Emmet who passed away September 14, 1926; Ellen and Joseph still at home, where Joseph is farming the home place.

Mr. Noonan was a resident of Platte county for fifty-four years, an upright, honorable, enterprising and successful farmer and respected by all. It was his pride to the end of his life never to have engaged in a law-suit.

On April 20th, 1929, he passed away after a short illness of double pneumonia, having attained the age of 80 years, 1 month and 5 days. He was a kind, affectionate and faithful husband and father, and is greatly missed by all who knew him.

One of the bequests of his will was a donation of $5,000 to his daughter, Sr. M. Bridget, to erect chapels, wherever she would choose.


Moses Kennedy Turner was the editor and


Horizontal bar


Mr. and Mrs. Emil Krings.


Grandpa Rudiecher

one of the proprietors of the Columbus Journal, edited and published by M. K. Turner & Co., and established on May 11, 1870. It was the most literary of the many newspapers Columbus once had. M. K. Turner was a native of Cadiz, Ohio, where he first saw the light June 23, 1833. He taught school when sixteen years of age; entered Franklin College at New Athens, Ohio, in 1856; took a course at Antioch College, Yellow Springs, Ohio, while Professor Horace Mann was manager; was superintendent of city schools and studied law in the office of his father, Judge A. C. Turner and was admitted to the bar of Ohio, and later in Nebraska. When establishing his newspaper at Columbus in 1870, there was but one other paper west of Fremont. The circulation of the weekly reached 1,000, and the office employed five men, a remarkable feat for those days.

Mr. Turner served in the Civil war from


Baptist Church at Platte Center, Nebraska.


Horizontal bar


The Joseph Wemhoff Family.


Mr and Mrs H. G. Lohaus.

Ohio. He was in the Nebraska Senate during the winter of 1880-1881. He died on May 22, 1902.

Mr. Turner was married to Miss Eliza J. Craig, a native of Cadiz, Ohio, at that place, March 29, 1865. She bore him nine children--Anna C. Rowe, Omaha; Martha M. (newspaper and photograph librarian of the State Historical Society, Lincoln); Alice, deceased; Frances I., Lincoln; J. Craig, Columbus; Ralph E., Chicago; Lidia K. Johnson, Lincoln; Rena Anderson Omaha; and Gladys Walker, Lincoln.

One reason why Mr. Turner located in Columbus was, because he owned a 680 acre farm two and a half miles north of the city, on the Monastery road. His son Craig now owns part of that farm, where he resides.


E. T. Graham was born in Prince Edward Island, February 20, 1845, and came to Humphrey township to homestead in 1871.



One of the best known and most interesting living pioneers of Platte County (and of Columbus in particular), who can recount a life filled with thrilling tales of western life, Pawnee scout, Indian fighter, Civil war veteran, Luther H. North is a native of Rome, Richland county, Ohio. On March 6, 1846, there was born to Thomas and Jane Townley North a son, who was named Luther H. North. The family first removed to Chicago, Illinois, and afterwards to Nebraska; in 1855 Thomas North arrived at Omaha. The father worked as a surveyor on the Elkhorn, Nebraska; the family came in 1856. In trying to aid a fellow worker in a blizzard, the father was frozen to death. His widow survived him till 1908. Luther attended school in Ohio and at Florence, Nebraska (1857). At the age of thirteen, the boy came to Columbus and served as mail carrier between this town and Monroe for about a year. It was at the time of the Pawnee outbreak, 1859. He and his brother James thereafter ran a big bunch of cattle on the prairie. In 1862, he with J. H. Galley and several others enlisted at Columbus in Company K, Second Nebraska Regiment, and was mustered in at Omaha. The regiment did duty at Genoa against the Sioux Indians. In 1863, his command, at Sioux City, joined the forces of General Sully, Sixth Iowa Regiment, and fought at White Stone Hill, Dakota. In the battle that ensued, many Indians and some soldiers were killed. The men were then mustered out of service.


In 1864, Lute North began freighting from Omaha west to Columbus, Kearney and Cottonwood Springs (later called Ft. Mcpherson). At Pawnee Springs he came very near being shot by an Indian, when the comrade of the savage prevented it. This was near Gothenburg, then known as Brady Island. Next day that Sioux Indian band killed thirteen of an emigrant train. In 1866, Captain North attended school in Michigan. In 1867, Major Frank North recruited four companies of Pawnee Indians and Lute became captain of Company D, first Battallion (sic) of Indian Scouts. Several skirmishes occurred in 1867. At Ogallala, Nebraska, a skirmish occurred with Spotted Tail, the Ogallala Sioux chief, whose son was killed. In 1867, Turkey Leg and associates killed the crew of a train at Plum Creek. Frank North gave chase and seventeen Cheyennes were killed, Turkey Leg's squaw and son were captured. Later in 1867, a council was held between Generals Sherman, Sheridan, Kearney and Indian chiefs, and the two prisoners were exchanged for three white boys and two girls. In 1868, Luther H. North was made captain of Company A. In 1869, occurred the battle against Tall Bull at Summit Springs, Colorado, where about a hundred red men were killed.


In 1870, Luther retired from the army and engaged in the livery business at Columbus. In 1876, General Sherman called Frank and Lute to Chicago to enlist Pawnees. They were sent to Fort Russel after having been equipped at Sidney. They drove Red Cloud back to Fort Robinson. The soldiers then rode to Fort Laramie and joined General Crook's command. On November 26, 1870, on Powder river, in the Big Horn Mountains, in a battle against the Cheyennes led by Dull Knife, more whites were killed than Indians. The Indians were forced by the cold to surrender, the village and 1,500 buffalo robes were destroyed by fire. The Pawnees were mustered out in 1877.

Between 1870 and '76 Luther North did scouting duty for infantry and cavalry located at Fort Hartsuff on the Loup river, at St. Paul, Nebraska. In 1877, Frank North joined Buffalo Bill (W. F. Cody) in the cattle business on the Dismal river, Nebraska. In 1886 L. North was appointed deputy collector of internal revenue. He returned to Columbus in 1889 and engaged in the livestock business. In 1900, he began farming till 1910, and served next as storekeeper gauger at Omaha. But Lute always called Columbus his home since 1859.

Mr. North was married in 1898 to Miss Elvina Sprague, of Silver Creek, Merrick county.

Mr. L. North is an expert in things pertaining to the life of the red man, his habits, his methods of warfare, his customs, and takes a fair and impartial view of the Indian problem, having his information of the red race at first hand. His efforts have been an effective force in reclaiming this region for the purpose of civilization and his name deserves a prominent place in the pages of Nebraska's history.


(Cfr. Morton's History of Nebraska, Chapter Territorial Mil. Hist. and Platte County Past and present, Vol. II, p. 653f.)

Major Frank North was a native of Lansing, Tompkins county, New York, where he was born, March 10, 1840, as the son of Thomas Jefferson and Jane Almira Townley North. The family came to Omaha in 1856. In 1857 Frank came to Platte county to take up a preemption. Since 1860 he worked at the Pawnee reservation at Genoa. In summer, 1864, he served under General S. R. Curtis in an expedition against hostile Indians and was as first lieutenant placed in


Horizontal bar


Mr. and Mrs. John Bruckner, Humphrey


Mr. and Mrs. Herman Tieskoetter, Humphrey


Mr. and Mrs. Peter Ripp, Burrow's Twp.


Mr. and Mrs. William Eimers, Humphrey

charge of a party of Pawnee scouts. In the same year he organized a company of a hundred Pawnee scouts and, when on January 1, 1865, they were mustered into the United States service, Frank was given the rank of captain, in charge of the Pawnee scouts. After doing service at Ft. Sedgwick and Ft. Laramie and under General O'connor in an expedition against hostile Indians in the northwest, they were mustered out of service in spring, 1866.

When hostile Indians made frequent depredations against the men constructing the Union Pacific railroad tracks, Captain F. North was commissioned to enlist four companies of Pawnees to guard the construction of the U. P. railroad. In Winter, 1867-1868, these scouts were discharged and two more companies were enlisted in spring, 1868. They took part in the battle of Summit Springs against Tall Bull and his braver. In the fall of 1869 these scouts were


Horizontal bar

also mustered out. From 1869 to 1876, Major North served as a scout and guide at different posts, especially at Ft. Hussel and Sidney. In August, 1876, the major again enlisted a company of one hundred Pawnees in the Indian Territory. They did excellent service under General Crook in the expedition to the Big Horn country and were mustered out in the siring of 1877. After 12 years of successful service, Major North retired to Columbus, served as a Democrat in the Nebraska legislature and in the house in 1883. He was affiliated with no church and no secret society. On December 25, 1865, he married Louise Smith, who passed away in February, 1883. His only child, Stella Gertrude North, was married January 4, 1888, to Edwin Hull Chambers. They reside at Columbus. Major North died on March 14, 1885, and was interred in the Columbus cemetery.

His bravery and high character won for F. North the admiration of the officers of the army and the respect of the Indians. Major Frank North was connected with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show for a number of years, in charge of the Indians. Nebraska mourned his death as of a brave soldier and of a good and kind man.


"Andrew Paprocki was born in or near Pilzno in Galicia in 1843. In 1865 he was married to Miss Maryanna Galus and lived in Wynski for some years. Hearing of the promising conditions in America, the couple left via Krakow, where they asked an aged priest for his blessing for the long journey. Aboard the ship they found a woman, whose husband was at Columbus and were persuaded to accompany her thither in September, 1868. The country was still sparsely settled. In town they found four families from Prussia, W. Jarecki, Joseph Rosno, etc. With their aid they purchased four oxen and two cows from an American. At first they rented a small cottage. Two of the family were very sick and had no doctor to look after them. Kind American neighbors came to visit them but could not make themselves understood. When, however, they saw the patients lying on the floor and vomiting blood, they quickly got bedding and medicine from their homes and tried to save the patients, if possible."

"At first there was no Polish-speaking priest, but in spring 1859 a priest (Rev. Fr. Shulak, S. J.) came and remained for three or four days and said Mass in a private house. The boy had asked for the priest and had the grace to get one before he died. A Swiss-American (George Berney) gave a plot of land for a cemetery."

"Mr. Paprocki then sent for Thomas Podraza and Andrew Dubas. In 1869 came Stanislaus Skorupa, curious to see the place still largely uninhabited as far as the eye could sweep; but the solitude seemed to be fertile. Skorupa thereupon returned to the old country to report on American conditions. That as yet the Polish people had no church there, but priests were beginning to come from time to time. Before they came to Columbus, there was a small church put up but the priest, the German or Polish-speaking priest, came around perhaps every three months."

"When these many immigrants arrived, they did not know where to turn to. So Thos. Podraza took in four families and Mr. Paprocki thirteen families. They were without bread and without money. Their hosts provided for them as best they could."


Grandma Reisdorf at the
Age of 91 Years.


John E. Hugg


M. K. Turner, Editor
Columbus Journal


Horizontal bar

"In the evening hay was brought and served for their bedding, it being in June and warm. The next day Mr. Paprocki drove to Columbus with ox teams to get their trunks and to take up a collection for the utterly destitute people. A sum of $17 was collected and distributed in proportion to the need of the various families. They stayed about two weeks. As the harvest season was now on and Mr. Paprocki had made it known far and near that these men and those women who had no little children to look after, were looking for work, most of them spread about to earn some money to make a living and obtain a homestead. Before winter had set in they all had erected sod houses."

"In the year 1876 Mr. Paprocki found a large division of land of which alternate sections belonged to the government and to the railroad respectively. The former being homestead (160 acres, gratis) or timber land and the latter selling at about $5.00 per acre. After five years they could prove up their homestead claim and after paying $25 become the owners of the land.


The Haschke Family, Humphrey

"Mr. Poprocki (sic) also took a homestead and began breaking the soil while his wife was still near Duncan. As he needed the ox team, his wife walked nearly thirty miles to bring him food, and as they were too poor to buy provisions sufficient for the whole week, she had to make this trip more frequently. When the tools broke, Mr. Poprocki had to go to Columbus to have them repaired. Later Mr. Poprocki erected a sod house and covered it with straw and grass and whenever the weather was dry, the family made themselves comfortable there. When it rained, however, the dirty water from the roof would pour in and the baby was put under the table to protect it from the rain. At such times the Paprocki family had hardly anything to eat as it was impossible to go to Columbus to buy food. When the children were out herding the cattle, they did not come home for dinner but made a meal of wild beets. In the evening they had a kind of soup or mixture made of corn chiefly. Milk they had a-plenty, but it did not bring much money (3c per quart); butter sold for a few cents a pound. But as settlers became more numerous and conditions improved, the farmers could help one another. Columbus was the next market town."


"Captain J. N. Kilian, who is now in the Philippine Islands, Captain of Company K, and acting Major of the Second Battalion, was born in Germany in 1862. He came to America in 1883, studying in colleges in Troy, N. Y., and the Salesianum, Milwaukee, Wisconsin; from there he came to the western part of the state, and later to Blair, where he was pastor for two years. While in Blair he was married to Miss Myrtle Pattrick, Feb. 7, 1888, coming to Columbus a few months later, where they have since resided. In connection with his practise (sic) of law, Mr. Nilian edited The Biene, owned by J. H. Johannes, for several years. Mr. Kilian bought the plant from Dr. Schonlau, who then called the paper The Wochenblatt. Mr. Kilian has had this paper for nine years and has a large list of


Horizontal bar


Graduating Class, Holy Family School, Lindsay.


Mr. Bernard Schroeder, Founder of St. Bernard.


Franz Seberger, Polk County.


Hubert Jaax Family, Polk County.


Mr. and Mrs. A. Paprocki.


Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Jaax, Polk Co.


Horizontal bar

German readers and subscribers. He was elected County Judge and served one term, from 1895 to 1897. He has been prominent in the city and county politics ever since he came to this city, and also in lodges. He was also chief of the Columbus Fire Department up to the time of his leaving with his company. Mr. Kilian organized the military company here about three years ago. The company offered themselves as volunteers and were called to Lincoln April 27, 1898. In May they were taken to San Francisco, where they were in camp several months. Mr. Kilian, with Lester Sisson, returned from California to secure recruits. for the company, and with about 100 men left here for the second time for San Francisco, on June
23, 1898. While Mr. Kilian was with the recruits, the regular company was taken on to Manila, so that the company was separated until December. The recruits were transferred from San Francisco to the Hawaiian Islands, August 20th, and from there to Manila, Nov. 10, 1898. Mr. Kilian is entitled to be Major, as two captains have been promoted above him, but he has been acting Major since December 5th of the Second Battalion.


Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Duesman, First Couple Married
in St. Francis' Church, Humphrey


Wm. Eimers was a native of Prussia, where his birth occurred on October 4, 1831. With his parents he came to America in 1849. The family located at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Alter two years he went to Winnescheck County, Iowa, where he engaged in the mercantile business. On October 9, 1855, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Unger. Nine children were born to their union, viz., Henry, Joseph, John, William, Caroline, Frank, Anna, Katie and George. For a number of years Mr. Eimers was land agent for the Union Pacific Railroad. In 1875 he came to Platte County, purchased a large tract of land in Grand Prairie township and induced many settlers to locate there. In 1876 he moved his family to Platte county. After engaging for a time in business at Columbus he located at Humphrey where he and his sons for many years conducted a large general store. He also was a dealer in lumber and grain. In 1882 his annual business amounted to $100,000. Besides, he operated his farm, of which at that time 250 acres were under cultivation. In 1897 he retired from active business and resided at Los Angeles, California, where he died May 16, 1917.


Horizontal bar



The W. H. Ramaekers Family, Lindsay


Mr. and Mrs. Frank Brockhaus


Horizontal bar

Previous Page
Next Page

© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Sherri Brakenhoff, Ted & Carole Miller