NEGenWeb Project

Resource Center
On-Line Library

NE History & Record of Pioneer Days
Vol VII, no 1 (part 4)  



Chapter in History of the Hebron Journal.

     After the suspension of publication of the Hebron Journal, by Mr. E. M. Correll in the early spring of 1871, Mr. Ed S. Past bought at sheriff sale a printing press and outfit formerly owned and operated by Mr. Worrall, of Steele City, Nebraska. He started to publish a paper in Hebron, in May or June, Republican in politics.
     He had in mind a different name for his paper and sent off for large type with which to print it. In those days the mails were uncertain. When on time, they arrived Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays of each week, being brought by pony team.
     The postmaster, Mr. Ed S. Past, finding his time limited in preparing copy asked Mr. E. M. Correll to write for him the editorials for the first issue. This request was gladly complied with.
     When all material was ready for the press and the day had arrived for the printing of this first issue the large type to be used in printing the name had failed to reach town. Mr. Correll then offered the name plate of the "HEBRON JOURNAL" which had been carved from a piece of native limestone by Mr. F. J. Hendershot and had been used by Mr. Correll in printing the first copies issued in the town, beginning in February, 1871.
     Mr. Past graciously accepted the offer, thinking; "What's in a name?" And so a second time the "HEBRON JOURNAL" started to live, and has come continuously to the homes of its subscribers to tell of the joys, sorrows and successes of the people of Hebron and vicinity.
     Long live the "Hebron Journal."                 


     Resident since 1871.
     Hebron Nebraska, December 8, 1924.
     Mr. Sheldon: I am sending in this, an item of history, that I think ought to be in the records of your society.
     I refer you to Mr. R. H. Eliot of Los Angeles, Calif., 936 W. 81st St. as to the truth of my statement. He was typesetter for Mr. E. S. Past at the starting of Mr. Past's work. Mrs. Mollie Past, widow of E. S. Past is living at Armel, Colorado, with her daughter, Mrs. Melissa Welch. Either of these can give you many items of early history here. Hebron, Nebraska has been my home since September 13, 1871, and I remember many early incidents.
     Our county was separated from Jefferson county that fall.
     My husband, Winslow H. Barger, now deceased, has helped make Nebraska history in Thayer county and in the State Agricultural society, also in G. A. R. and I. O. O. F. organizations of the state.
     Mr. Past sold the journal to Mr. Oliver Scott, after a few years' ownership, and it then was printed as a democrat paper for several years. Mr. E. M. Correll bought it from Mr. Scott sometime later and it has been in the hands of the Corrells since.
     I am sending you this information because I think there is honor for Mr. Past as well as for Mr. Correll.
     Mrs. Mary Green, and myself are the only pioneer women of 1871 left in this city. I am a member of the Oregon Trail Chapter D. A. R. of Hebron.
     Hoping this item will find a resting place in our state records, I am,     




Picture or sketch



Upper left -- Monument in place.
Lover left -- Lewis Campbell Dunlap.
Upper right -- Mother of L. C. Dunlap, captured by Sioux Indians.
Lower right -- George Graham, who deeded site of monument to Nebraska State Historical Society.





     One of the oft told stories of the Nebraska frontier is that of the Indian attack on the Campbell and Berger settlement, near Grand Island in July, 1867. The carrying away of four of the Campbell children, their captivity with the Indians for several months and their final return to the military at North Platte in exchange for Indian prisoners captured by Major North near Plum Creek are dramatic incidents in our frontier history.
     On October 15, 1924, a tall, trim looking young man came into the office of the Nebraska State Historical Society, and handed the Superintendent a document. On examining the document it proved to be a deed to the Historical Society, from Thomas Graham, of a tract of land situated near Doniphan. The young man introduced himself as L. C. Dunlap and in the conversation which followed told a most interesting story not only of pioneer incidents, but of a son's devotion to his mother and his resolve to mark her grave and the memory of their danger times when she was captured by a party of hostile Sioux. The story as given was written down, read to Mr. Dunlap and is printed as follows:
     My name is Lewis Campbell Dunlap, Dwight, Nebraska, born 1883, for 25 years a resident of Nebraska. This is tradition to me, just as I have had it told to me by my mother. Mother was a girl of 17, alone with two sisters and twin brothers on the homestead. The men folks were gone to a neighbor by the name of Berger five miles distant. Mr. Berger arrived the day before from Nebraska City with a new reaper. That day they were preparing to reap grain. It was July 24, 1867. Our homestead was two and one-half miles east and one-half mile north of Doniphan, one mile from the first south channel of the Platte river.
     My mother, then a girl, with her two sisters and two infant twin brothers, was alone. As near as I can remember, it was about 10 o'clock A. M. when a band of Indians, Brule Sioux, were seen approaching and mother, not being able to leave the young ones, stayed with the house while one sister escaped through the grass and grain to the river bottom, and hid in the willows and brush along the channel, and went for help. Where she went I do not know but it was to one of the neighbors. A man, or boy, took them to the Berger farm, five miles away where she told her brother and the rest. Meanwhile mother and the two twin boys, were placed by the Sioux on ponies.
     The Indians started toward the Republican, hardly stopping for three days and two nights, except a short time to eat. oftentimes they would break camp hurriedly, hearing someone coming. The children had nothing to eat for days at a time and one time mother scraped a deer hide that had laid in the sun several days to keep from starving. One week all she had to eat was a handful of corn. Mother tore strips of cloth from her dress and dropped them on the trail until the Indians stopped her. One day they broke camp because they saw someone coming and later they found that it was a command of negro cavalry. Mother was always very reticent about what happened to her as a prisoner and I can't blame her or anyone else. She told little of her captivity, simply that she and the rest were brought back to North Platte about two months later and turned in there. Then they were brought to Grand Island. The Indians wanted to keep the two boys, but all four were brought back. No member of the Campbell or Berger families were killed. One neighbor, Mrs. Warren, was shot with her baby in her arms. The baby is living and has a family now in Canada. The neighbor men formed sort of a posse, bur nobody knew which way the Indians went, so the children were thought dead or lost. In the Campbell family were Father, John, Pete, Dan and two others. Four are



Picture or sketch


living. Three and my grandfather they did not get. Those with grandfather were at Bergers.
     My mother's last request and only wish in her last illness was that she be buried by her mother on my great grandfather's homestead. Her mother died in 1866. The graves have lain unmarked since then and I felt it my duty, not only to her family, but to her in particular that they should be marked permanently. My mother died at Bridgeport, Nebr., and was buried April 7, 1924. I began work on the monument shortly afterward and superintended work. The granite monument was put up by Ed. Pfiester of Hastings. He did well by me and it was a credit to his work. The granite block is three and one-half feet square and eighteen inches thick. The top is two and one-half feet square, totaling six feet high. The metal railing enclosing the graves is nine by twenty-seven feet. The concrete underlying this is a solid block, fourteen inches thick and two feet deep on the edges, containing eighteen loads of sand. ninety-one sacks of cement, and twenty rods of woven wire for reinforcement. This was completed October 13, 1924. The ower (sic) of that land is George Graham, now 60 or 65 years old. He has owned the land about twenty years and, he is a direct descendant of John Campbell.
      The deed to this tract of land, comprising a tract 22x40 feet, I now hand you for the Nebraska Historical Society. That deed is accepted October 15, 1924 by the society and will be recorded at Grand Island as soon as we can send it.
     My occupation was that of a machinist and tool maker, but the last fifteen years I have been a pyrotechnist, a manager of fireworks or working with fire exhibitions. I have no home at present, but am on my way to Los Angeles where I expect to remain.
      The idea of presenting the deed to the Nebraska Historical Society was that my mother was always interested in historical work thought it would be well to give it to this Society. I have a medal which was my mother's. She asked that it be buried with her, but my father took it and put in into a pin. I value it for its association, not for its real money value.
     I am a son of J. P. Dunlap, of Dwight, who was a pioneer in this



state about 1865. I was a former student in the State University, attending here two years, 1900 to 1902. I desire that the Historical Society guard these graves and protect this land from any marauders. The graves are one-half mile from the section line. They can be reached by going due east from Doniphan two and one-half miles, turning into a private road and going north one-half mile. The graves are two hundred yards from John Campbell's house and 30 or 40 feet from the fence.

(Signed) L. C. DUNLAP.     


     Records of fifty years ago on the Nebraska Frontier are furnished the Historical Society by Mr. O. B. Unthank of Chadron. Those were critical and dangerous times for any white man west of Grand Island. For the region on the North Platte, Niobrara and White river they were perilous as a powder magazine. Red Cloud agency had been established on the White river, three miles west of the present town of Crawford. Ft. Laramie, the nearest military post, was 100 miles away. Fifteen or twenty thousand Sioux, Cheyenne and Arapahoe Indians, the fiercest fighters of the white men on the continent, roamed uncontrolled over Western Nebraska and Wyoming. They had never been brought under subjection to the white man. They saw their hunting grounds rapidly depleted of game. They knew they must fight to maintain their old life. So some of these personal letters written from Red Cloud agency and Ft. Laramie give a better picture of conditions than any official reports. The Historical Society is glad to receive from Mr. Unthank his own letter and the correspondence which it enclosed.

Chadron, Nebr., Nov. 1924.     

     I enclose you some letters and telegraph passes given to my father, O. N. Unthank, telegraph operator at Old Fort Laramie in 1869-74. Some letters addressed to him by Indian Trader, and letters written to him and by him. If these will be of use to you, you may copy them for your records or such part of them that may be of historical interest.
     I have many more letters, but have not the time now to look them up. These seem to speak of times and conditions at that period and may be of interest.
     I desire that the letters shall be returned to me intact and you are welcome to use them for copy.

O. B. UNTHANK.     

The Western Union Telegraph Company,
----------- * * *
     Send the following Message, subject to the above conditions.

Hams Fork, Oct. 16, 1867.     

To -- Stage Agent South Bend:
     Pass the bearer Oliver Unthank from South Bend to Denver a/c W. U. Tel. Co. and oblige

A. C. BASSETT,          
Asst. Supt. W. U. Tel. Co.


Omaha, Dec. 13, 1869.     

Cmdg. Officer,
     Ft. D. A. Russell:
     The bearer Mr. Unthank is on way to Ft. Laramie as telegraph operator, sent by authority of Gen. Augur.
     Please furnish him transportation to that place.

Yours Respy,          
Supt. WUTel.



Cheyenne, Wyo., Dec. 16, 1869.     

To Col. E. B. Carling;
     Please furnish the bearer, Mr. Unthank, telegraph operator, transportation to Fort Laramie. You will see by his papers that he goes there to take the office by Gen. Augur's authority.


February 2, 1874.     

My dear Unthank:
     I enclose you $5.00 amt. for telegrams sent over sometime since. If not enough will remit you. Neglected to enclose same when forwarding messages. My dear old boy, am still safe, tho living in suspense night and day. Am trying to get all robes, hides, furs, etc. out of country, then if worst comes to worst will try to make my escape at night. Have shipped since my return near nine thousand dollars in robes, hides, etc. and hope to heaven they may get through safe.
     Shipped 37 buffalo robes, hides, skins, furs, etc., last night. My stock is running low, but let her run, I cannot venture out of my room after night. Indians all the time with guns loaded and bows strung. Agent has concentrated every man in stockade with him. Cheyennes held a council yesterday! Told him the Sioux were constantly coming into their camp saying these houses here would soon be covered with blood. Times, my dear boy, are here indeed dangerous. Yet the agent is afraid to cut his head off with Indian Department for $1500 a year. Think I shall get out of here as soon as I can get affairs cleaned out, and see a litttle (sic) more. Bosler's heard of 2,000 head stampeded a few days since. The scoundrels got away with some 200. Antonio Janis' mules all taken yesterday. Indians bring in the news today of several large trains having gone up between Fort Randall and Whetstone Agency. Suppose you heard of the poor fellow shot down on Running Water day before I started over. Is old Fowler back? Give the old boy my best love and don't forget the kind hearted and hospitable Austin. Also Allison, and Lieut. Warrens family, Mr. Briggs and Briggs jr. Good bye old boy, if any news let me have it. 'Twill be confidential. What is Agent telegraphing for, troops or what?
     He should have gone up, if anyone, instead of poor Frank Appleton. If anything new, let me know, even if under ground and rest assured 'twill go no further. Good bye, my dear old fellow. Fill up that cavity for me. Am striving to keep up a brave heart but this constant strain on the nerves is wearing me out. Again, good bye as ever,

Your friend,             
J. W. DEAR.     

(Mr. Dear was Indian trader at Red Cloud Agency.-Ed.)

Fort Laramie, W. T., March 6, 1874.     

Dear Emma:
     You see I am still here. Gen'l Smith orders me to remain until the 15th instant, but I shall try to get off by the first opportunity. As there is no stage running, that may be sometime yet. The Pay Master will go down to Cheyenne about the 15th. I can go with him if there is no chance to go sooner. It is not safe to go alone as the Indians are watching this post all the time. Sixteen of the Indians were seen Sunday, evening 3 or 4 miles above Brown's ranch on the Laramie.
     No news from the expedition to Red Cloud yet. We are afraid the Indians will attack the Agencies before the troops arrive there. In that case they will probably succeed, as they are poorly protected by a pine board stockade.



     Darling, you do not wish me home half as bad as I do. The days are so long and lonesome. Everybody excepting a few infantry officers have gone to Red Cloud. Fowler, Allison, Eagan, Western, and many others. Our old Front Room where I sit writing is bare and lonesome. The old lounge, two tables and chairs are all that is in it. No carpet, pictures, wife or babies to cheer one up. The mail comes and goes but never brings anything from my loved ones for me. I am growing old. My hair is turning grey. I expect you will not know me when I do come home. If you write an answer to this just as soon as you receive it I will get it. If I don't it won't cause you much trouble and I can read it when I get home. I will telegraph you when I start so you need not expect a surprise and don't worry about me, as I will take care of myself, if not for my own sake for you and the babies. Darling little angels, I hope they are well, as well as yourself and all the Dear ones at home. I will try and get the shoes, etc., you ordered if you have not already got them.
     Dearest Emma, do take care of yourself and Allis and Lottie. The spring time is a bad time for exposure, bad colds, etc. Remember, Dear Girl, this is our last separation. 'God willing,' for a long time to come. I have not got my back pay yet. Think it will come inside of two months. Dear Dearer Dearest wife 1,000 kisses etc., a short good bye,

Love to all,                 
O. N. UNTHANK.     


     The following are some of the appreciative responses. sent in following the first Nebraska State Historical radio program given by Curator E. E. Blackman at Omaha Station W. O. A. W., on September 13, 1924:

Havelock, Nebr., Sept. 17, 1924    

     I have neglected writing to tell you that I enjoyed your talk by radio last Saturday evening. I hope that we will have the opportunity of hearing you again.
     In case you should be giving any talks along your line, in Lincoln, I would be glad to hear them as I am interested along the history line.


Adams, Nebr., Sept. 13, 1924.    

     Just heard you over the radio and you were as plainly understood as though you were in your "den" at Lincoln. I could see the places where you were digging and almost picked up that diamond shaped knife, myself. Your talk was very interesting and we enjoyed it so much that I almost forgot and clapped my hands when you finished.


Genoa, Nebr., Sept. 15, 1924.     

     A large number of Genoa people listened to your address from WOAW including myself, and enjoyed it very much. Every word came in clearly. I am watching the Columbus paper for articles about the Genoa trip and find them all very interesting.


Blair, Nebr., Sept. 13, 1924.     

     The radio talk on the Genoa finds by E. E. Blackman coming in fine and can understand every word. A crowd of Blair folks are gathered at the bakery of J. H. Holmes. In our party are Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Holmes, Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Long; Mrs. Chenowith and Mrs. B. B. Offen, who thank you for the pleasure.



Sargent, Nebr., Sept. 13, 1924.     

     We certainly appreciated Mr. E. E. Blackman's radio talk very much and should like to hear more of these people.


Glenwood, Ia., Sept. 15, 1924.     

     Enjoyed Mr. Blackman's radio talk very much and would have liked to have had him talk longer about the Indian mound discoveries.


Genoa, Nebr., Sept. 13, 1924.     

     We were listening in on your radio lecture from Station WOAW and enjoyed it very much. We received it very clear and distinctly and would like very much to hear more lectures of the same nature.

Very truly,                 
O. A. Jernberg, E. A. Horton, Gladys Newell, Elizabeth Matson, Mrs. O. A. Jernberg.     

Orleans, Nebr., Sept. 15, 1924.     

     I heard the radio talk by Mr. Blackman of the State Historical Society and would be very glad to hear more of his lectures on that subject.


     I think that Station WOAW deserves a great deal of credit for its wise choice of programs and am glad to express my appreciation after listening to the address by Mr. Blackman, as I am very much interested in that line of work and hope to hear from him again upon that subject, soon.

DR. F. KUENZL, V. S.,     
Columbus, Nebr.                 

Onawa, Ia., Sept. 15, 1924.     

     When the radio lecture on discoveries of E. E. Blackman of the State Historical Society was given the other night I was late in tuning in and consequently didn't hear all of the lecture. I was very interested and would be very glad if Mr. Blackman would write me.

MRS. O. A. MOEN.      

Ohiowa, Nebr., Sept. 15, 1924.     

     Saturday evening's radio program, by Mr. Blackman on explorations in the Loup Valley near Genoa, Nebr.-- was very interesting and greatly enjoyed by me, as I am a pioneer of Nebraska, having lived in Fillmore county since 1871. I am greatly interested in the early history of our State as well as earlier history prior to settlement of our state by white men.
     Would be pleased to bear Mr. Blackman speak on this subject again.

F. J. SIEBER.      

Giltner, Nebr., Sept. 15, 1924     

     Enjoyed Mr. Blackman's Radio talk. We are studying that portion of American History in our High School.

A. L. NYE     

Blair, Nebr., Sept. 13, 1924.     

     The Radio lecture given by the State Historical Museum Curator coming in fine and plain. It is very interesting to learn of these finds and the accompanying history as given by Mr. Blackman.





Sept. 16, 1924     

     The Historical talk broadcasted from WOAW Saturday evening from 6-6:30 was fine. Wish it could have been longer. Hope we may be able to hear more of such talks.

A. M. Jones, Mo. Valley, Iowa.      

Monroe, Nebr., Sept. 13, 1924.     

     We were very much interested in Mr. Blackman's Radio talk.

F. A. MATSON     

Hooper, Nebr., Sept. 13, 1924.     

     We have listened with pleasure and profit to Curator E. E. Blackman's Radio talk tonight. My wife and our three school children crowded about with unusual interest, -- the first time ever during your programs, and we have been listeners for some weeks. I wish we might have more of such educational talks, -- we at least, tire of this popular music type of programs.
     Having once been associated with Robt. Gilder in his excavations of Indian house sites on Child's Point south of Omaha, his talk this eve was of uncommon significance. Tell us more of your work, Dr. Blackman.


First White Girl Born in Franklin County Visits Riverton.

     Miss Edith Thompson, the first white girl born in Franklin county, Nebraska, visited Riverton the first of last week. Miss Thompson, whose home is in Los Angeles, California, had been in Lincoln visiting friends at the state university, of which she is an alumna.
     When Miss Thompson was born, late in the year 1871, there were only the original five families in the stockade -- Thompsons, Ashburns, Oneys, Banks and Butlers -- her father's homestead being along the creek named for him, extending up the creek north. These homesteads were chosen from plats at the Beatrice land office before the settlers came out to Franklin county. The Ashburn homestead joined the Thompson place on the west.
     Miss Thompson was born in the old stockade at Riverton and lived here until she was fourteen years of age when her parents moved to Arkansas for a few years, then back to Lincoln where Miss Thompson attended and graduated from the state university. From Lincoln the family moved to California where Miss Thompson has since resided, her parents having passed away.
     This was her first visit back to Riverton for thirty-seven years and she was only fourteen when hse (sic) left here, yet her remembrance of the old landmarks, most of which have disappeared, and all of which have changed, is remarkable.
     Miss Thompson spent Monday and Tuesday of last week visiting the old haunts, recalling long forgotten incidents of her childhood days, and taking pictures at different points on Thompson creek with which she was familiar. She visited our old settlers and enjoyed with them many pleasant reminiscences of the early days. She regretted very much that Mrs. Shepherdson was out of town. She recalled the fact that Isaac Shepherdson purchased the mill site from her father and constructed the mill itself at a time when grasshoppers were so thick in the air that the sun could not shine through. -- Riverton Review, August 28, 1924.

     Martin Gering, stockman, for whom the city of Gering was named died at Washington, D. C. in July, 1914, aged 73.




     Some interesting historical facts regarding the North Platte Valley in the region of Minatare, Gering and Scottsbluff are being reprinted by the Editor of the Free Press at Minatare. They were originally printed in the Minatare Trumpet, published in 1887 by John F. Ringier. A few of the interesting items as given in the Free Press September 4, 1924, are:
     "Word was received from Washington to the effect that a postoffice was soon to be established. W. H. Rockford having been appointed as the postmaster, the office to be opened as soon as he was able to furnish the necessary bond and other preliminary matters could be cared for.
     "The annual roundup of the country south of the Platte was scheduled to start on the 20th day of May, the party to be formed at Julesburg and work north to Bush Creek, then up the North Platte to the mouth of Pumpkin Creek, the party to split at this point, one bunch to work Pumpkin Creek to the source, while the other party worked the Platte River as far as Scottsbluff.
     "The George Fairfield Land Co. was advertising several choice claims, both tree claims and homesteads at figures ranging from $50 to $500 the latter being only two miles west of Minatare and was listed as having a set of good improvements.
     "Considerable excitement was experienced at this time over the prospects of the inland town being connected with the outside world by one and possibly two railroads, it being given out that the U. P. had filed articles of incorporation to run a road up the North Platte river over into the state of Wyoming. Reports were also numerous that the Burlington was rushing the work of their extension from Broken Bow west."

Denver, Colorado, Aug. 19, 1924.     

     Dear Sir: I have written a history I have named "History of Brown's Hole." Said Hole being in Northwestern Colorado and Northwestern Utah and about 12 miles south of the boundary line between Colorado and Wyoming. My history, dating back to 1865, beginning when we were dumped on the prairie at Nevada, Iowa, the terminus of the Chicago and Northwestern railroad the 1st of June, 1865, and ends in 1920. It deals with the building of the Missouri Pacific and is a history of the Overland Stage road and makes a speciality of the doing of outlaws. Here just now there is an individual who says his name is Dick Rutledge, who says he was a scout with Gen. Sheridan and Kit Carson. In an account published in the Denver Post April 27, 1924. He says he had as companions as independent scouts on the plain in 1870-1871, Bill Cody, Texas Jack, Mexican Joe, Texas Pete and Doc. Middleton. In my history mention is made of Middleton as a leader of a gang of bad men, cattle and horse thieves and that he was killed by the vigilants or the regular authorities I don't know. He was killed when they rounded up the gang of Niobrara rustlers. If possible, please give me a sketch of Middleton's life, whether he was shot or hung, the date, etc., and oblige,

Yours truly,        
J. S. HOY.     

     Two markers of the Daughters of the American Revolution dedicated at Friend, Nebraska July 6, 1924. They marked the grave Mrs. Lucinda Cippy Hershey whose father served with the French in the siege of Yorktown and of Ada Crowsby Beardsley.


Of Nebraska History and Record of Pioneer Days, published. at Lincoln, Nebraska for October 1, 1924

State of Nebraska



County of Lancaster

     Before me, (...)

Vol VII, no 1, part 3  Prior pageSpacerTOCSpacerNext page  Vol VII, no 2
Return to NE History & Record of Pioneer Days

© 2001, 2004 for NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller