Dewhurst Town Hall

Dewhurst Township


Clark County, Wisconsin




Hatfield was originally known as Frankville.


FRANKVILLE:  Established January 21, 1858 with George M. Arnold as postmaster.  The post office was changed to Hatfield January 9, 1879, with Charles A Ecker as postmaster.  It was discontinued December 6, 1887, and its papers sent to Merrillan, then re-established January 16, 1888, with William W Craig as postmaster.  The office was discontinued again August 5, 1891 with mail service from Merrillan then re-established February 9, 1895 with E. Leslie Hooven as postmaster.  It was finally discontinued February 28, 1914, with mail service from Merrillan.  It was located in Section 3--T22N R3W in the township of Komensky.




Source: History of Wisconsin Post Offices, submitted by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.


Building the Hatfield Dam

Hatfield Chamber of Commerce (21 Jun 2006).

Hatfield Work Train

Hatfield History

AM Vets Honor Hatfield Vets



The Hatfield Fire & Rescue (May 22, 2003)








The cornerstone of the Presbyterian Church, at Dells Dam, will be laid on June 20 at 11 a.m. Rev. Brown, of Marshfield and Rev. Hendren will address the congregation and there will also be other ministers to assist them. Afterwards, a warm dinner will be served, 25 cents per person. (excerpt from the Clark Co. Press, Neillsville, June 1893)





Clark County Schools - Index

Bruce Mound School

School History

Property Grant



Dewhurst School (Sec. 26) was about a mile and a half south of Columbia. It was known as the Primmer School. Leon Canfield, Alice Head and Nettie Bara Primmer were the teachers. There is a possibility that Susan Metcalf Haenel also taught there.

When the larger school in Columbia was built Dewhurst and Columbia consolidated. Busses picked up the Dewhurst children. Their school building was sold to Robert Lawrence of Elgin, Illinois. He moved it to the main road a mile south of Columbia and made it into a very nice farm house.

Alice head married Fred Lockman of Columbia. They move to the state of Washington. In 1971 Leon Canfield was still active in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Nettie Primmer passed on in January 1970 in the state of Washington. Mrs. Haenel passed on and is buried in Columbia’s first cemetery.  Recollections of Columbia


Nettie Barr Primmer of Humbird taught at the Dewhurst School.  After farming three-quarter mile south of Columbia for several years, she and her husband, Chauncy, moved to the state of Washington.


----Source: Neillsville Press (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) Thursday, 06/18/1925


The following is a list of pupils in the south half of the county who have completed the eighth grade work in rural and state graded schools and are prepared to enter high school this fall:

Town of Dewhurst No. 5 -Marion Stubbs, Rosa Novak.



Return to the Dewhurst Main Page






© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel